Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans response to blizzard

• 27-12-2022 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭

I cannot understand how so many people died in the recent North American blizzard. Yes it was a very rear occurrence but such blizzards occur frequently - but are not as severe. For example -:-

-why did people go out driving when they , I assume , keep that very inclement weather was due

• did the media not give up to date reports on how severe the weather was going to be and THEREFOR give a list of the necessary precautions to take.
    • I f drivers/passengers became snowbound in their vehicles - then rather than freezing to death did it not cross their mind to get out and seek shelter in a nearby building or were the roads devoid of such buildings for miles and miles.
    • could helicopters not have dropped ‘ survival kits’ every so often along the affected highways.
    • - why did people succumb to shovelling snow . Could they not have waited until the thaw set in?
    • why were vehicle drivers/passengers sooooooo illprepared when going on a trip during the blizzard. Eg food/ snack, water. , appropriate clothes, flares, gas stove, etc.

Comments

Americans are invariably idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭893bet

Simple maths.

x million of people impacted. 99 percent stayed at home.

1 percent were either stupid or had to go out for some reason and ended up in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Field east

When the snow eventually melts the death toll could be over 100./these are all ‘self inflicted’ and therefor could have been avoided in the main. Every one death in such circumstances is a death too many. What also crossed my mind re trapped cars is the roll played / could have been played by companies/ farmers living along the affected roads with their high ground clearance tractors and other such machinery. The ones that decided to drive in the blizzard must be from that category of people that try and drive up to/thru the Sally Gap during the height of a snow storm here

Advertisement