Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Christmas dinner

Options
  • 27-12-2022 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

This forum seems, like boards in general, to have faded away a bit lately..

Was just wondering what people had for their Christmas dinner?

I go home to my parents most years, (and help out with the cooking), but there's so many sides, I'm not bothered cooking a meat alternative like quorn or a nut roast etc..

I did have one of the Lidl nut roasts today back at my own place and it was lovely - I'll likely cook one next year on Christmas Day..

Just wondering what people had for dinner, I imagine it's hard for vegans in particular if they're going to family or friends at Christmas..

Pics of your Christmas dinner for bonus points!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

(Mine this year included: Buttery Mash,. Roasties, Stuffing. Cauli cheese, Broccoli, Turnip, Sprouts, Carrots, Roast parsnip)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Meant to cook this Jamie Oliver Cauli/Broccoli dish my pal sent over to us last year, which was delicious, but time got the better of us.. next year for sure, it's lovely!

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/the-best-cauliflower-broccoli-cheese/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Roast spuds, carrots, parsnip, broccoli, asparagus and one of those daily’s roasts made by “thanks plants”

Will defiantly get the roast again.

I forgot to add Brussel sprouts!

From the OP - ‘This forum seems, like boards in general, to have faded away a bit lately..’

The place was overrun by farmers when it (the forum) was busy. Constantly arguing and clogging up threads with BS hypotheticals and not allowing people to have an opinion on whether or not raising animals for slaughter and produce was cruel.

The forum only had Tar moderating and, in my opinion, he was far too nice to be a moderator. The forum needed strong moderation at that time. Cards and bans were hard earned. The forum has died since then

It did have some traction when I was using it but the daily battles became too much for me as my livelihood didn’t depend on it, unlike the farmers.

I was left with the conundrum of - do I want to stay and share recipes, stories, photos of food and good vegan restaurants and cafes or do I want to stay and have people trying to start arguments and totally fixate on disruption all the time. I regretfully choose the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

This year we went to relatives so I had different to what I'd usually have. They got me the nut roast from M&S. It was very nice. Also had roast parsnips, roast potatoes and Brussel sprouts. Asked them before hand if they'd do the roast veg without the goose fat I know they usually use, and they agreed. I usually wouldn't bother with a nut roast, I'd just have the sides, but we do a lot more sides when we're at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Old thread I know, but just wondering if anybody has seen Linda McCartney's Leek and Cheese Plaits anywhere in the past year or so? I don't think they've been discontinued, but I can't find them in any shop. I had them with my Christmas dinner for several years, but last year I had one of the Lidl alternatives as there was no sign of LMcC anywhere. Anybody know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hain Celestial distribute and manage the brand in Ireland. Drop them a mail and I am sure they will let you know about availability. Maybe update the thread when you get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

For this Xmas, I'll have what I've been having for many Xmas dinners - my good old reliable veg [hot] curry. 🍛

:-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

If you get any info on this update us here.

These Leek and Cheese plaits are also my first choice for Christmas dinner and I'm just realising now that they don't seem to be available anywhere. I definitely had one last Christmas too. But as you say, no sign this year at all.

I can see from my online shopping that the last time I bought them December 2022 from Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

This is my hands down, no alternatives, can't-be-beat Vegetarian (not vegan) Christmas dinner. So good all the carnivores dive in for some too!

Gourmet Veg. Pie:

• 1 onion, chopped
    • knob of butter
    • 12 oz diced white potatoes
    • 4oz button mushrooms
    • 1lb asparagus, cut into 1in lengths
    • 15oz can artichoke hearts
    • 5fl oz double cream
    • Tbsp parsley
    • Salt, pepper, nutmeg
    • Puff pastry (I use frozen sheets)

Fry off onion in the butter, 10 mins. Add potatoes & mushrooms, and continue on the heat for 3-4 mins

Add asparagus and artichoke hearts, along with double cream & parsley. (Softer artichoke tips can go in later) Heat through thoroughly & season with salt, pepper and pinch gr nutmeg.

Transfer to ovenproof pie dish and cover with puff pasty. Glaze with beaten egg.

bake at 200C for 25-30 mins

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

there’s a much bigger “festive roast” also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Oh I've never had those for Xmas dinner, but I did love them. Hadn't noticed that they'd disappeared. That's a real shame because they were gorgeous. In general I'm finding veggie options harder to find. Went into Lidl the other day to stock up on the gorgeous cranberry and cashew nut roasts that they've been doing the last few years, and was told they didn't come in this year. We usually buy loads and eat them throughout the year. They did have single serve nut roasts, but they looked suspiciously like the Aldi ones that I don't like.

Advertisement