Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair/Replace Tractor Tyre - Please Help !

• 28-12-2022 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

Hope you can help; we have a tractor with two rear tyres (420/85R34), and the side wall has started to split on one side. The tyres are 17 years old now, but have 50% left.

Should I a) replace both rears b) try and repair

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

throw up a photo if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Repair more than likely won't hold if side wall is split, I'd replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

C) just replace 1. Why replace two when such low usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was there damage done to it first. Local tyre man prob best to advise. Could put tubes in if don't want the expense of replacing but if they are near perished may be as well to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GardenMan1981

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

is one worse than another or similar splitting/perishing on both sides?

I ruptured a tyre sidewall on a rear tyre (my own fault - gate latch sticking out as I was turning driving through a tight gap) and go it vulcanised and reinforced + a tube put in it......was around 300 when I costed everything in...which was much less than the cost of a new tyre.....(Im pricing that as taking the rim off yourself and bringing it to the place to have the new tyre fitted and then you put the rim back on for both jobs) If you have to get a guy to call out and fit it will cost a bit more too

It was a nearly new tyre however, I don't know if they can do it on really old perished stuff, might be worth a query with a local place that does it? (It may be that they dont have the equipment for a full tyre and its just for fixing a specific area?)

Its definitely not the same thing but my dads 135 is still on the same tyres it was supplied with and the outside of them look like the surface of a shrivelled scrotum thats taken some hammering with perishing/splits etc and chunks of what tread pattern is left gouged out from stones etc etc

It looks awful but they still hold up fine.......then again they don't have to hold up much only the weight of the tractor itself and it doesnt go on a road so .......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tractor breaker for a complete wheel and a 50% tyre might be an option if the tractor isn't used much. But with call outs for punctures approaching €100 it might be as well off to go for two new tyres. I think if the walls are perished and you put tubes in them the cracked walls can pinch the tubes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think they will repair tyres anymore for something like that.

Thank you all for your advice, got a price today for two brand new BKT tyres, 750 (inc vat & fitting) a tyre. I think that's reasonable and, based on all your advice/guidance (thanks again!), the most economical option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard truss bearing gone on (old) Ford front wheel. How likely is it that's the only damage?

Advertisement