Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart metre removal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

What attempt have you made to have it removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What attempt have you made to understand the technology and use it to your benefit? None.

Don't walk out of the conspiracy theorists forum and expect to spout your waffle here without some pushback.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Jumping In a bit off topic - but last week got notified my property will get a smart meter installed soon. Can I refuse this? Certainly seems a lot of negativity around smart meter rates which is unfortunate but certainly don’t want to increase my bills any further. Most of my usage is during smart meter peak rates due to WFH and children at home all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I have a smart meter it was in the house when I bought it and I am on a flat rate unit price with Electric Ireland.

I am on year two with them, current unit price is 0.3970. The smart plans are useless avoid at all costs just give me the flat rate fee thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ESB dont seam to advertise any contacts/means of refusal option on their leaflet, only glorify how beautifull it will be. 😊

As was mentioned earlier, "MDE installations" is contractor for meter install - they will/should call you to arrange date/time. As it is not compulsory to have it installed at the moment, this where you can refuse to take it, should you wish.

Another potential option would be to contact ESB networks and talk to them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Isn't there 3 companies doing meter installs

Post edited by kirk. on

Perhaps three, but arrangment and/or refusal likelly would be same...

I refused cos I wanted to leave it yet, probably gaining nothing though assuming I could stay on the 24hr plan

Is there any procedures in place for reverting, I can't see it happening easily

I am not aware of procedures of reinstating "ordinary day/night" meter, but i would believe one might face resistance in such and/or would inflict cost. ESB networks would be best to ask i guess

I could see excuse not to reinstall old fassion meter - non smart plans still available(for long?)

Anyway, we all get them installed before 2030 if not sooner, next time they wont ask or will make it mandatory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Are ye under the impression that if you get a smart meter, you're automatically put onto a smart rate? This is completely incorrect. I got a SM in November and still have the same rate I had before it was installed. It's only a meter with a SIM card for God sake.

If this addressed to me - no, of course not. And as you correctly state - its just a meter that just counts your kWh used, it does not save them ( another incorrect impression pumped out to public )

Your current rate obviously remain, as per current contract, and please, let me know when it comes to renewal or you deside to switch - i am interested to find out what options you will be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Ok ,I had an involvement with the initial roll out.Can you go back to a Non Smart you will be told no.(It may have occurred in a very very few cases) All new builds have been getting Smarts for about 2 years.Let’s be clear , they don’t cause cancer or any of the other rubbish you hear.Some of the old meters they replace are analogue I.e those very old meters with a turning dial.Some of these are in situ for decades.Small bits of dirt /dust have built up over the years which can slow the dial down marginally.A guesstimate of 2 to 3 % a decade.Sounds tiny but some are 3 decades and more in place.It’s not that the Smart is wrong the old meter was under recording .Only 4% of those with a Smart have moved to a Smart plan.In most cases this is because it makes no sense to do so.In one way this was anticipated.If Mrs Murphy who has a Smart got great tariffs and Mrs Smith who hasn’t had the option of having one installed yet can’t avail of these tariffs it’s a Joe Duffy moment.At some stage we will have multiple tariffs not sure if you lads are familiar with Octupus Energy in the U.K. but have a look. Personally I am staying on Day Night and “we”as a customer set will be the last group moved

Just because you have a smart meter does not force you onto smart rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Are you saying they made smart plans more expensive so people without a smart meter don't get pissed off? I find that hard to believe. More like energy companies trying to cash in. I know a good few who switched as they were led yo believe they had to & are now laying more.

Tbf the smart plans have improved slightly but still not worth switching, for me at least.

What annoys me is I can't see any of the smart data without going on a smart plan. If they really want to reduce consumption they should have that detail so I can judge it myself.

No not more expensive Networks job is to install the meters the Suppliers produce the SMart plans.The Roll out is done on an almost military basis.So there are very roughly a million customers who haven’t had the opportunity of availing of a Smart yet.IF some customers of say Airtricity who had a Smart got the option of a fab tariff and other Airtricity customers could not avail of the tariff through no fault of their own there would be mayhem.It’s the same with all suppliers.Don’t expect any major great tariffs until 70%+ are installed .The most surprising thing to me is NO politician (Especially the Kerry ones) have made a song and dance about peak time coinciding with people feeding themselves and their kids etc

Peak time is peak time on the network. The point of the higher rates during this time is to discourage usage. What's the problem?

Im on Night rate so the very high usage ,Washing machine ,dishwasher , dryer work on Night rate but you can’t load shift Dinner at 6pm and a lot of folks have kids who come in from school/college , training and will look to eat and possibly shower at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Why is installing batteries not a thing? They charge at night & used in peak time.

I seen an add for installing batteries & when I enquired they refused to quote for it. Said they only install them with solar panels. The add didn't say anything about panels.

• Advertisement

From old job I know of a few guys who had a battery only set up.We are straying from the title but my own opinion is give everyone who could benefit from it a 10 year interest free loan to install Solar and Batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Yes you can refuse this. I did. Here's my story. I received a letter in the post informing me they were offering me a smart metre. I emailed them to say Thank you for the offer of a smart metre but at this time I am declining. I heard nothing back for about a week. I did notice the vans in and around my area installing them in neighbours property. And just like that I received a phone call from EI saying that workers are in my area installing them and asking would I like one... to which I said No thank you, I emailed your office advising i did not want one, to which she very nicely said oh that's fine get a pen and I will call out a reference number for you to jot down and if in the event you receive any further correspondence on this issue just quote that number and they will see we have had this conversation and clarifying you do not want the smart metre installed. I haven't heard a peep since (that was early Nov last) Good luck.

Same as

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they put the squeeze on

No problem refusing , the issue/question is getting one out if it’s already in 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

I don't know anyone who had one removed but I know a couple of people who, when contacted, said they didn't want it and were told they had no choice it was mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Do a search of boards for "smart meter removed" and will find posts of people having the smart meter replaced with a D/N meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

There is a lot of waste (heat generated) when charging a battery, so best to use free otherwise unusable solar to charge them

I think the point was to charge at night rate and discharge during ,Peak/Day.The poster referenced not having panels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree 100% on your last point. What should be happening is that they make all the data available, along with the ability to see what difference simply moving to a smart plan would make, and also to move X kWh per day or week from day or peak to night and see what difference it would make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Is a smart meter the same unit as the pay as you go electricity?

Iv heard this is more expensive which doesn't seem right as maybe some people on the pay as you go system might be on a lower income.

Iv seen people go into SuperValu and buy 10 euro electricity and 10 euro scratch card . Unbelievable

Advertisement