Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a tiler - is it too expensive?

Options
  • 28-12-2022 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

I've a bathroom that needs tiling.

The floor is about 2 meters X 2 meters.

The walls roughly the same sq meter.

So, a small enough bathroom.

Existing wall hung toilet, vanity unit, and wall hung radiator would have to be taken down, tiled and reput up.

Included in the quote would be putting up a shower enclosure.

Ex tiles and shower enclosure for e1700.

Am eager to get it done, but this sounds quite a bit expensive/what is the opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi op. Does he have a good reputation? Have you seen previous work.

In my opinion when it comes to a job like this its something you wont do often. So id be spending the few quid if he is good.

I had a lad in to do 22sqm of floor tiling. Done it for 700 but he was a disaster

A cheap job will cost you more in the long run.

Is he taking down the fixtures and putting them back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think it is too dear ,maybe Paul Murphy would know some builders working cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Turquoise_Spots

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, he is taking down/putting back up, installing a shower enclosure, and trimming bottom of a door also (won't close once tiled).

I've seen some of his work, and looks tasty alright. Just not sure if e1700 is too expensive? Like, different between bit more expensive because he is good, and then just over the top/taking the piss expensive.

Will come to the tile shop with me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The tiling part is small, but it really depends on the rest.

If the work includes all the plumbing, including the shower, I would say it is ok.

My bigger concern would be whether the tradesperson had the necessary plumbing skills. It's not a big job, but could go very wrong.

Shower area isn't included.

It is a Reno company. Just thought would be easier to get it all done at once.

Not sure what you mean by plumbing? The wall hung loo and vanity unit need to be taken down/put back up.

• Advertisement

Have decided not to go ahead with this. e1700 for the size of the bathroom (tasty tiler, or not), is too expensive.

I asked what the charge is per square meter, and he said it's based on his work, not per square meter, which isn't good enough.

I'm a highly skilled professional myself and what he is charging per day would take me a week to earn on that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2022work

That is alot of work and at 1700 I think it's reasonable. Small bathrooms can take a long time to redo as there is do many cuts to do. If your ceiling height is 2.5m and in a 2x2 room, that's tight space to work in. Where is he supposed to put all his tools and work safely. Have you made plenty of space for this or is he to work in a bedroom or a tight hall. How far is the waste to be carried.

He has to disconnect the old ware and possibly drain the system and fill up again. For tiling. He's to remove all old tiles. Make sure walls are clean and tidy. This takes a lot of time to get right getting adhesive off the walls. He's to prime everything and wait for the primer to dry. Then work out for setting out the tiles to know which best to arrange them around windows. Tile a small room with lots of cuts around doors, windows, corners etc.. in a tight space. Drill holes through tiles. Set beads Then tile floor in a tight space. Tiling around a floating toilet. Remove all waste while keeping your home clean. Installed a new shower enclosure plus take a half day with you in the tile store and not to forget trim a door down. Do you want him to collect the tiles, beads, grout aswell and carry them all into your house or will you do this?

He's to put all ware back as it was before and seal everything.

He couldn't possibly give you a square mtr price for this.

One thing you need to understand as well is that he is disconnecting everything and connecting again not waiting on plumbers to come in holding up your job. There's a premium for people that can do both.

He might have had someone to do this with him.

Any tradesman who can do all this and is very good at it or tastey as you call it is worth 300e min a day but should be 350e imo. 37.50-47e an hour. Plumbers and electricans are getting 50e an hour minimum in today's climate!

1700 ÷ 350 is 5 days for all this work which imo your both getting your worth. I can't see how you think you'll get any better unless it's mates rates or a man down the pub on the dole doing it.

Your saying your a highly skilled professional and what he gets a day you'll get a week. I don't know any highly skilled professionals working for less than 800e to 1000e. Surely you don't expect him to do this all in two days.

With all that said, how much do you expect to pay a skilled tradesman and how many days realistically do you think he should have it all completed and cleaned up! I'm sure we'd all be interested in your thoughts on it.

Why are you getting so snotty about a query?

Yes, I do think it is too much money to pay a tiler. I have since found a different solution with a different tiler-not one who is going to rip me off.

I'm a highly skilled professional with 3 degrees in a good paying job, and I dont get paid e400 per day. Joke if ye think people are going to pay that or sustain paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I would genuinely love it if you will come back with an after-job update on this.

I had a return bathroom re-built from new, and the tiling, while it looks fine and very nice, is a bit of a disaster. The floor wasn't quite level so the tiles and grout are moving and splitting - I've already had to have one area of it re-done as a patch-up job (I'd have done the whole lot but there's a ton-weight bath in the way).

The shower enclosure wasn't done properly either, so the grout at the bottom keeps splitting and breaking off, meaning I've had a couple of leaks into the kitchen below. I've had to have that patched up as well, and will again soon I suspect.

If you've got someone to do quality work at a cheaper rate, then good on you - but I agree with the poster above that 1700 doesn't sound beyond the bounds for the job you've described.

If I were doing it again, I'd pay whatever it took to have it done right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just got new ensuite tiled.

2 sqm floor tiles. 16 sqm walls.

450 cash but that's just tile work. No removing of fittings or old tiles or fitting anything. Work is spot on but walls were perfect for him too. Also has adjacent bedroom which was pulled apart also to work in and easy exit to outside.

Your job is going to be circa 1500 anyway I'd say when you consider a plumber to pull out stuff. Someone to remove old tiles and leave good enough for tiling again. Then refitting sanitary ware, adjusting door if required.

Don't be tempted to tile over existing.

• Advertisement

I dont have any tiles (already) in the bathroom. The tiling would be done on a flat, already even surface.

I dont agree with those prices-they were already high, and now extortionate. Anyways, as said, I have decided to do a different tack, and e400 for some tiling and a shower enclosure works for me.

To be clear, it is not a refurbishment.

You really need to watch alot of these trades people. Your 1st floor shower should have been tanked prior to tiling and not be completely reliant on grout to keep water in it's place.

Without professional supervision, you really need to know what's what yourself because no matter who you think you are hiring, short cuts will be taken by a large percentage of tradesmen specially ones that can't be immediately seen.

Bathroom is already fully tanked and waterproof.

Hindsight is a great thing!

That job was a total rebuild of the return on the house, the builder brought in all the trades. Nothing at all seemed amiss at the time, but over the years since then the cut corners/mistakes made themselves known.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

OP when you say putting up a shower enclosure , What exactly do you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Reads like a very awkward shaped ensuite if there's only 16m in the walls, most tilers these days would only take on a job like that if it were one of a number of jobs in the same house. To get someone to do a quality job for under 21 euro a square yard in such a tiny space is incredible value.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It was cash and I'm in the west but good value for sure. As I said he had the bedroom to work in which didn't need to be kept clean or anything and direct access to outdoors from the bedroom so while yes it is small and a high percentage of cutting required, it was a decent enough space to work in.

He would have done work for use in the past as well which would have been good runs of floor tiles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You say you are a highly skilled professional. What industry? Does your company charge clients or similar? It's a bit silly to compare wages with fees charged. I'd expect an professional would understand why if you think about it.

If you want to know what it comes to per square metre, I'm sure you could have worked it out. But he is right, and it's based on the total scope.

• Remove toilet and vanity. Remove radiator.
    • Remove door, plane door to accommodate tiles.
    • Tile floor and walls.
    • Install Shower
    • Refit toilet, vanity, radiator.
    • What about shower mixer/tap, shower head. Mirrors, toilet roll holder, towel rails etc

How many days do you think this should take, how many people, what should they be paid. 1700 may be high, but 400 is certainly not enough.

IF you'd READ my posts above, I have decided to go with a different tack.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE POSTS BEFORE JUMPING ON THE HIGH HORSE.

You didn't say what your different tack was, just that you'd got someone to do it for €400. Are we all meant to be mind-readers?

• Advertisement

ARE YOU JOKING!

I asked originally for the advice on something else. Your advice was by far out there. Did you even read the OP? Just completely projected your own crap.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

3 degrees, 11 posts then bang......meltown haha!

That first tiler had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,048 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So you say you are a highly skilled professional with 3 degrees. I'm guessing none of the degrees are on manners.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Turquoise_Spots No need for the personal jibes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The tiler doesn't get paid 400 a day. Nobody pays for his holidays so this has to be factored in.

He also wastes a lot of effort quoting for jobs he won't get, timewasters etc. and he doesn't get paid for this.

When a scbag doesn't pay him for a job he's on the hook for that.

He also has a vehicle, accountant, phone, insurance etc. all of which come out of the headline figure of say €400 a day, if that what it is.

Really? What about what is said to me?

It is not right to talk about personal jibes, when the comments to me show there is double standards going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

The tiler was also going to take time out of his/her day to go to the tile shop with the OP too. Time that they could have been working on a different job making money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I was referring to the name calling in response to a specific post/poster. Not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Got a total bathroom refurb done a couple of years back. Very similar size to the OP.

Removed old tiles and new ones fitted.

Removed bath and fitted shower and enclosure, the one with a curved corner.

Moved toilet and hand-basin

Fix underfloor rot from previous water damage!

External waste pipe decommissioned and new one installed.

Came in around €1,650 labour charges for plumber and tiler, materials - excluding plumbing fittings I purchased separately

The OP's price considering less work done ain't too bad considering recent inflation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This was ignored. Shocking.

Instead the attacking some other poster was an easier out.

Advertisement