Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lansdowne Valley Apartments - Drimnagh

Options
  • 28-12-2022 12:56pm

Hi guys,

I have seen a really nice looking apartment on sale for a good price I am considering bidding on in Lansdowne Valley Drimnagh.

From Google Maps it seems adjacent to Brandon Road, directly across the road from that scummer McGregor's pub and towards the start of the Walkinstown Road.

I am aware Drimnagh had a bad reputation in parts a few years back but would value anybody's opinion on this particular section of the locale?

If I arrange a viewing next week I will of course take a walk around the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm down on Cooley Rd which is only a stones throw away from Lansdowne Valley and walk/drive past them apartments the odd time.

Haven't had any issues around here in the two years bar someone robbing a pumpkin from our garden this year :D it's generally very quiet. Those apartments do have a creche on ground level I believe, you also have the bus stop at the door which is mental during the school year with kids.

• Thanks lad, I think I can handle those young rapscallions in the creche or school, high on the Calpol 6 Plus no doubt.

Looks like a handy area for town. I shall contact the estate agent so.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Halfway House does a great carvery which is only across the road!

There is a lot of new apartments going up in Drimnagh which bodes well.

Handy for shops and takeaways too... Aldi and Supervalu less than a 10 min walk either way. Castello is a quality Chinese, there's a sit-down Chinese above the Castle Inn next door & Vincenzo's chipper is decent! You've a decent sized Boots, big Centra, Costa, Pizza Hut and Texas Fired Chicken at the Castle Centre. There's also a pool room at the back of there too - Nullys Pool Rooms.

Halfway House is a good pub and as mentioned above has a great carvery, Eleanora would be our go to spot for a more livelier pint on a Saturday. Not been in the Castle Inn but there's music, etc... on half the week I think and also does food too.

New apartments literally just finished next door to Lansdowne Valley (Slievebloom Court according to Google - 25 units for DCC by the looks of it), new ones down at Barnewalls Way above Pizza Hut/TFC and then the big development at the back of the Halfway House. The carpark opposite Halfway House (think it's the Bank of Ireland carpark) is up for sale and will definitely be apartments in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Those apartments are on the border of Drimnagh and Walkinstown, any of the dodgy* parts of Drimnagh would actually be quite a bit away over to the north east.

@Gavin "shels" has given a good account of it and much more up to date than I could provide (I'm gone over a decade) but I will always pick the Halfway over the Ellie (although it's not a bad spot either). Lets not mention the place that's in between.

Anyway, the area is grand. Transport links are great and really town is only a stones throw away - I've actually walked it a few times back in the dark days before taxi deregulation (which coincidentally the brother tells me the taxi situation is not great these days either)

*Drimnagh is actually fine, just a few bad eggs

• Advertisement

• Thanks friends.

I will seriously consider the area even if this particular property didnt work out.

Its proximity to town would be the biggest factor for me. I am one of those gentrified culchies who turned his back on traditional country pursuits such as turf turning and turnip munching so want to stay as far inside the M50 as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

Uncle Tom's Cabin in Cowtown (Stoneybatter) is for sale; it would suit you better.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Cheers for the advice.

So finally got to see the place/walk around the area today.

In the spirit of Ferdinand Magellan, I circumnavigated the area afterwards.

Walked all round Brandon, Comeragh, Erigal, Cooley, Mourne,Sperrin Roads afterwards and it seems very quite and settled, absolutely ideal.

Tried the Halfway House but it was rammed couldn't get a seat, currently sat in the bar across the road think its called The Castle Inn warming up with a hot whisky and a pint of Arthur to follow.

Definitely be making a bid could see me self settling in the area.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Halfway House rammed of a Saturday daytime? Was there something on? You try upstairs?

Anyway, yeah, as said, nothing wrong with the area and a lot going for it. If you went wandering over the other side of the road, by the BOI, that's more my neck of the woods (where the roads are named after poets - Drimnagh got the mountains, Crumlin the monasteries iirc) but I did spend some of my formative years hanging around Brandon/Mangerton. I'm assuming the Castle Inn is the old Long Miler? My first job was there, Beamish was £1.88 at the time 😁

Castle Inn is the old Long Miler - opened up after Covid. Seems they done a solid bit of work on it over 12 months or so. Haven't been down to it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 msketchum

Hey do you end up buying the apartment I am looking here too!

• No I ended up buying a house elsewhere. Moved in about two weeks ago.

There is another thread linked below. Apparently there is a lot of corporation housing right beside it. This wouldn’t bother me but it might be an issue for others. 

Lansdowne valley drimnagh — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Advertisement