Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH 1Gbps inconsistent speeds - they say no fault - should I stay or should I go now?

Options
  • 28-12-2022 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Howdy,

I recently got Eir 1Gb FTTH to my home - my house is around 100feet from the cabinent (maybe 150). I am on a new cat 7 cable straight to my PC from the router. My speeds are all over the place and at the moment seem to be settling at around 600Mbps give or take 50Mb.

I contacted Eir last week who agreed to send out an engineer. One of the nights I was on my PC and did speed checks and and I was getting 900+;I thought "great it's fixed". The last few days I noticed again the speed was all over the place and I rebooted my router last night and briefly hit 900+ again.

Today it's back to 500-600Mbps so I rang Eir (since they had also overcharged me on my first bill) and the "technician" said the engineer sent out reported no fault and didn't nothing at the cable - she was a little dismissive tbh.

I didn't think FTTH would be so inconsistent. Could it be a line issue or something to do with my Eir router? I'm technically still in the cooling off period and I'm starting to wondering if another provider would be more consistent? If I hit 960 (which I did a few times) then why can't I consistently get that?

Should I cancel and try someone else?

Cheers all,

Me

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you having any functional issues, or are you just not happy that you're not reaching the max in a speed test?

I could get faster than the 500 mb down 50 up from Vodafone, but didn't see the point. I work from home often, stream, download, loads of IOT devices.

If you'd like to troubleshoot a bit more, you'll want to keep some logs of speeds and times.

You could try something like https://testmy.net/auto to automatically test your connection over time. Consider trying another cable, or if you have access to another computer, test with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

30 plus users, 2.5Gb between them. All it takes is a few heavy users to really contend the strand. Shouldnt be common but statistically will happen.

If you dont actually have a use case for 1G (that's almost guaranteed) then just downgrade to the 500Mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Probably not relevant but by turning off QOS on my router I started getting 900 plus download rather than 5/600 ish. I’m on Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

Distance to the cabinet is irrelevant for fiber. There's lots of other questions, but you're getting plenty of bandwidth for anything you're likely to need to do.

What service do you have? Which modem?

Do you have a TV service with Eir?

When you test your speed have you turned WiFi off at the router and made sure you're the only device connected?

Is your PC fast enough to max out the link and is there anything else running on it that might be pulling downloadable content?

Advertisement