Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Elements Portable (Recertified) 5TB Hard Drive for €66.14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Great find, 5Tb is a fine size for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

What does the Recertified mean, was it returned or a faulty one fixed and certified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Returns, in most cases. Have a handful of recertified drives from them, S.M.A.R.T. data showing 0 or just a few hours of working time. So mostly new or like new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SMART can be re-zero'd so I woudn't always take that as light use.

I got one for additional storage for a NAS but it will only be for stuff that I won't mind loosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Of course it can, but it's IMO way too much hassle for cheap HDDs as the one we're talking about.

And it's only owner's fault if their drive failed unexpectedly because they did not monitor SMART figures while using it, especially many SMART monitoring applications allow users to set automatic check at any period they fancy.

Even brand new and shiny drive may fail quicker than you expect, so frequent backups is the only way to keep stuff readable. Call it overkill, but I have stuff, backup and backup's backup. Binned 5 HDDs so far, but no data loss.

I concur, I meant 4k single watch movies and not bother deleting them with 5Tb. Or lots of downloaded crap.

With cloud storage nowadays, it's better for photos etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Nice one, OP - pulled the trigger on that. Handy out.

Advertisement