Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP5000s and punctures

Options
  • 28-12-2022 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I recently got a set of GP5000s for my road bike.

Have had 3 rear punctures in about 50km over the space of 3 rides-all in different spots on the tyre with a new tube, picked out glass/stones after each.

All happened on decent surfaces (mainly Marino and Drumcondra).

I'm a heavy enough rider and running them at 95ish PSI if that is relevant.

Is this just bad luck or is there a chance I'm doing something wrong/there's an issue with the tyre?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just unlucky I’d say especially if you are picking debris out each time.

For reference I run 110/100 in winter being 100kg rider.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't call Marino and drumcondra decent. Glass, debris etc the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I recently fitted Continental Grand Prix 4-Season tyres, I've been out twice and both times I've punctured. Seriously not impressed but I guess it's just bad luck, I took off GP5000s which I never had a puncture on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

How's your rim tape? Often overlooked as a cause of unexplained punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

After 12,000km on GP5000 on two pairs, I've had only one puncture which was catastrophic and required the team car (Mrs.) to get to get me home. Best tyre I've ever used so far. I use 23s (tube type) with around 7.5 bar and pick glass/flint/sh1te out weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If the Internet has taught us anything it's that GP5000s are both the best and the worst tyre that you can buy. They also pick up more punctures than any other tyre despite also being among the very best tyres for not puncturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Seems the only sure thing about any tryres you get is you will hear completely opposite opinions on so unless there is a problem with the wheel any cyclist make sure they can replace the tube handy out on the road .I have had both gp5000 and four seasons and no surprise had puntures on both .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My first pair punctured multiple times in the first few weeks to the point I just gave them away, went back to GP4000sII I had spare supplies of. Went back awhile later with a new pair and went 10000km without a puncture, so yeah, as above, your mileage may vary. Still think they are phenomenal in regards grip in taking corners while racing. I had heard good things about Schwalbe ones but the first pair I had of them ripped through just braking on my commute bit others swear they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I didn't get on with Gp5000's either due to punctures. I just don't think they suit my 100kgs and irish roads. I know they get great reviews, but we broke up its not them its me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have a set on two bikes tan walls & black approx 1500km on either. Haven't punctured on either although just saying that has probably ruined that run. They are a bugger to mount though. Although in saying that I've several bikes with a variety of tyres and I think I've only had the one puncture in the last few years, I'm no light weight. 🤷‍♂️ I've really just ruined that run haven't I. 🙈😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've had punctures on all, but I'd still consider GP4000/ GP5000 as "good"/ race tyres, and run GP4 seasons on the winter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I read on the bike24.de site (review comments) that the GP5000s are manufactured in both China and Thailand and you don't want the ones from Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

I've just had my first puncture on my gp5000. The rear tyre has a few rips so it might be toast. It only has 5000km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In my opinion, 5000km is astonishing and phenomenal mileage for a race tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't race (I fart around a good bit) and I get +7,000 out of GP5000s. I get similar out of Michelin Pro4 SC (but with one or two more punctures).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Regarding the comment about the GP5000 being both the best and the worst tyre according to the internet, this is why I avoid them. The people saying they're great probably live somewhere with butter smooth tarmac or somewhere the youths don't smash bottles everywhere.

I had mixed results on GP4000 IIs for punctures despite everyone swearing by them for puncture resistance for a road tyre. My Michelin Pro4 Endurance don't have the same popularity but have held up well for minimal weight penalty, even better than my puncture resistant Pirelli Cinturato Velo which scored very highly on the rolling resistance website. The Pirelli look like Edward Scissorhands put them on compared to the Michelin over similar mileage.

I don't think anyone on this forum is riding on butter smooth tarmac. I rode mine around rural Wexford, all of South Dublin and on occasion a few desperate attempts to get easy off road trail KOMs. Getting punctures on most roadways in Ireland has little to do with surface if pumpoed correctly. For the most part its simple luck, that luck increases or decreases with certain brands but in the majority of cases its simply luck.I mean I could ride Marathons and guarantee no punctures but I don't like my shoulders being destroyed by the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wijam

moved to GP5000's year before last and for the first few months I was getting regular punctures during the summer, riding at 100PSI's, dropped it down to 80PSI's and I think that helped, and I'd be in the range of 78-84kgs in weight, if this helps at all

Have about 6000km on them now and they are looking a wee bit worse for wear, probably need replaced

Would've thought GP4000's/ GP5000's were more rated as the best compromise between performance and puncture resistance, rather than swearing by them for puncture resistance. If you want puncture resistance, there's marathon plus, which will also suck the good out of leisure spins (but are a great commuter tyre).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm in North County Dublin..Contis get my vote, Great tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Conti Grand Prix get my vote for the winter, GP4/5000 for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm regularly on hellish potholed, gravelly backroads one vehicle wide. GP4000/GP5000, I don't get many punctures. Getting a few thousand km from them. 23's at 100-110psi or so.

I don't think surface plays much part, but debris and pressure are very significant factors. If I'm going out with too little pressure it becomes much more likely that I will get a puncture. If I'm going out in the rain and there's debris then similar.

But typically I'm getting so few punctures that when I get more than one, I consider changing out the tyres because they're so obviously wearing/worn. And as I say, that's usually a few thousand km in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm sure many people have success with the Conti tyres, my point is that a lot of people including myself have been disappointed with them regarding puncture protection as they're widely praised for it. I just found they punctured just like any other tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm doing around 9,000km per year and getting maybe 10 punctures. Some of those from pothole/debris pinch flats. And I'm getting a few thousand km per tyre.

I've no idea if those metrics are praiseworthy or not, but I can live with them and have no motivation to change/experiment given those numbers.

No idea if they're "the best" but definitely "good enough to stop me searching for others".

Just to say again, they're rated as the best compromise between performance and puncture resistance. You can get better for puncture protection, but at the expense of performance (grip and/ or rolling resistance and/ or weight).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd consider that to be quite high. A puncture every 5,000kms would be acceptable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Do you have a link to those reviews? I had a look but couldn't find any mentioning China or Thailand. (I can read German). Lots of people giving out about them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Have been using GP5000 and GP4000 for the last 5 to 6 years. Never had a reliability issue with 4000's but having doubts about the 5000's lately. Seems to be liable to tearing along the beading. My latest one happened today, brand new tyre on its first spin, got a blowout at 59 kms. Pic attached

I'd be straight back to the seller with that, jebus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Have to search through my accounts, problem is I think I bought 2 lots, Mantel and another site . Won't know which one it's from, !

Advertisement