Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flu - tell me I'm not alone

• 28-12-2022 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So I've pretty much been sick since around the 21st but it peaked around Christmas day. Exhausted, body weary, nausea, headaches etc. Got a gp appt online and they agreed I had a sinus infection so on an antibiotic. So slow to clear though...the pain in my teeth and face :(

Is anyone else the same? Beginning to feel very down about feeling so rotten. Barely any appetite or interest in eating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 you_talking_to_me

What a really bad dose going around and certainly seems to linger a lot longer than standard colds or flu’s with a range of symptoms affecting everything from head to toe.

I’ve never known a period where so many people have been so sick simultaneously in my family and circle of friends as there’s been this December.

And can anybody definitively say for sure exactly what they have or had? Seems not. Hang in there, coming up to ten days you must be nearing the end !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Whole family has flu. We're totally and utterly fcuked. Fevers, puke, freezing, shivers, barely walk or talk. Havent left the house since Christmas eve and barely able to even celebrate Santa.

I've had few star strains of Covid before and this is far, far worse. No smell, no energy, constantly needing to sleep.

Fcuk this flu.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 23h4589j1234

Your definitely not alone

I've had this exactly as you described

I've never had anything like it

And yes it's very slow to go

Today is the first day in 12 days I'm starting

To feel ok

I've bought half the chemist at this stage

The sinus part is brutal

I found using a face steamer helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Went through our house over the past week. Thankfully all in much better shape today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Huge amount of sickness about at the moment

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The worst is not being able to breathe out of your nose, especially at night. Waking up the next morning with a mouth and throat like sandpaper. Paracetamol does **** all for it aswell. I found a few hot whiskeys with loads of cloves and lemon over the Christmas helped.

Last few days with it, I'm starting to get ear pain. I also look like I have scurvy, face all blotchy, swollen nose, sunken eyes and chapped nose and lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

Have you all done covid tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Real dose this year, hard to shift as well.

COVID tested several times in the week before Christmas.

Know more with it than without it

• I was a bit reluctant to get the flu vaccine this year, as it tends to leave me feeling rough for a few days, but hearing what people are going through with those dose of flu that's going around seems it was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yeah I did three. It's more of a sinus virus thing here than covid. We had no temps or the body aches associated with covid but it's just a nasty lingering bug that's been doing the rounds in our house since start of November.

• Advertisement

Yeah! I was there also!

• Your not alone I've the exact same symptoms. Have not been able to eat properly since 23rd. It's frustrating, I don't feel too bad at the moment but cannot eat at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah yes, real Influenza, when it makes you realise that you've never actually had the 'flu at all.

My wife and I caught Influenza just after Christmas 2017. I was really sick for about 2 weeks and suffered post-viral syndrome for about 4 months after, also called chronic fatigue syndrome, or M.E.

I was in and out of work over that time and had to carefully manage the symptoms, with a balance of rest, light exercise and nutrition with supplements. Its basically what they call long-Covid these days, with all of these things being viral damage on ones system and metabolism, to a greater or lesser extent. And yes, I know severe long Covid is far worse than I had after that Flu.

In any case, I've never missed a Flu jab or Covid vaccine since and even when I did catch Covid last March, it wasn't half as bad as that Flu and I felt zero effects after a couple of weeks.

When you're in the teeth of the Flu, the most important thing is to manage the Fever and to keep hydrated. Drink as much liquid as you possibly can, water, tea, 7up, Lucozade, whatever helps. Each person's fever will respond differently to paracetamol, ibuprofen or aspirin, so find out what works best for you and stick to it. Again, constant hydration will keep those medicines flushed through your kidneys and thats very important.

If your symptoms, or your families' are very severe; terrible headache, body aches and chills, swollen tonsils, ear and eye pain etc - take solpadeine or solpadol, which contain codeine phosphate, a very effective painkiller. But beware, no more than for a couple of days with those, codeine is a highly addictive opioid.

If a child's fever does not break after 72 hours and they are not taking enough liquids that they have stopped urinating, get them to hospital.

Look after yourselves, its a bitch of a dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

You're not alone. Feeling rubbish since yesterday. Negative pcr test result today. Temperature, chills, aches, headache etc.🤧

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’ve had it since the Wednesday 14th. Only coming right now. Septic dose altogether. Had antibiotic too. Seemed to get rid of it twice but seemed to come back at me in different forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had a chest infection in early Dec, caught a cold the following week then it turned into a sinus infection so more antibiotics last week. My head felt like it might burst! I let the water in the shower bounce off my face and just blew my nose constantly. It has been such a poxy month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Definitely not alone, it is absolutely everywhere and it is the slowest boxtard of a thing to shift. Keeps going away and you think you're done only for it to hit again a couple days later.

Both my kids (under 5) ended up hospitalised with it - Influenza A , that was almost 3 weeks ago and they're only just about over it now. I have never seen the likes of it and I never want to see it again. Flu shot for all of us every year from now on.

Edit to add symptoms : high temperature that refused to budge with calpol/Neurofen, cough so bad it was causing the kids to vomit with it, sore throat, headache, sore bones, muscles, snots, being hot and cold at the same time, diorrhea, dehydration in the kids case, loss of appetite, tiredness, oh and let's not forgot the eye and ear infections. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Covid tests all negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I got the flu vaccine as well and it might have helped shorten it. The worst of it lasted four days (fever, aches, chills, vomiting).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Have you tried sudofed? When I'm bunged up, like I am now it's like a miracle drug. I find the difference between getting a proper sleep and not is if I take one an hour before bed and if I wake for the loo which I usually do cos of all the liquids I'll take another if it's 6/7 hours later. Really makes a difference to my form the next day, still weary but we'll rested.

There seems to be a lot of colds and flu at the moment, more than any year I can remember. I think I've only had the flu once ever and I was in bits from it. Felt like I'd been hit by a bus and it took a good 2 weeks after I felt better before I could even walk the dog due to lack of energy and almost loss of breath if I came to a hill I usually fly up. Most people think the flu and common cold are the same thing. Very different beasts altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks for all the replies. I felt utterly miserable and a bit of 'is it mind over matter by now?'. My tooth is KILLING me but I'm ojnyhe antibiotic 2 days now and it's not helping. Im just so tired and body tired. I'm trying to drink lots. Alternating paracetamol and neurofen every few hours too. I have genuinely never felt so sh1t in my life and I've 2 painful childbirths and 2 surgery recoveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Are/were you all aware of the flu vaccine? It's not a shot for kids it's a little nasal spray. Was the advertising campaign not enough?

• Yeah the flu is properly nasty. It literally killed one of my relatives. She was a sprightly lady in her 80s - looked about 50.

She was in flying form - parties, holidays, driving … got a dose of the flu had been just taking panadol and the usual. She just got a bit breathless during the night without any warning, decided to call herself an ambulance and she arrived in hospital with full pneumonia and just passed away about 3 days later. This was several years before COVID arrived, so it definitely was flu.

The actual flu is a horrible virus.

I had a mild dose of COVID at the end of November and I’m still not quite right. A lot better but I was testing positive on antigens 16 days after and had banging headache and no energy for about the same length of time.

The vaccines obviously did something as I never developed a cough at all, just body aches and that weird headache / sinus thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

an awful lot of people getting this dose HAVE the flu vaccine. My sister is religious about the flu vaccine. She got it in October. And she got this flu on 21 December, I have NEVER seen her so sick in my life, temperature for 6 days, aches , chills, unable to eat with serious weight loss, now fighting a nasty sinus infection, sore teeth, headaches, unbelievable fatigue. Christmas was cancelled. This flu is resistant to the flu vaccine.

I'll take the liberty of believing that you're not being a smart ass. Yes, I'm aware and have had for 3 years. This year, I just didn't get to it due to a family death and just being mentally preoccupied. But thanks for the reminder... it's terribly useful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Yep - whole family wiped out this Christmas with it. Some positive Covid, others not showing but really unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

What’s the teeth thing about. I had that for couple of days too. Ulcers on gums too in the latter stages of it.

It's actually the worst bit for me. It's agony. I thought the antibiotic woudl relieve the sinus pressure and then the teeth would follow but its not helping. Definitely worse at night as you can't help but focus on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Had the flu for over a week now. First few days stuck in bed chills, vomiting into a bucket, cough, terrible sinus issues. Mostly cleared up except sinus issues. Neilmed sinus rinse from the chemist helps to wash out the sinuses and really helps to clear the nose and gives a better night's sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It still reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population & lessen the severity of it. Your poor sister (& other posters affected) sounds like a nightmare.

No! I wasn't being a smart ass, sorry if I gave that impression, but I know of people that aren't aware of it. At least it worked for you when you took it! Sorry to hear of the death of your relative.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I'm sorry for the assumption. I find that is the default on social media so I stand corrected. All my family usually get the vaccine as my oldest has asthma and my husband works in health care. He got this but nothing near as bad as me. Kids also weren't so bad, thankfully. I will never miss the vaccine again.

I'm using the neilmed rinse but it's not helping at all. Still completely congested in one nostril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Ya, as already mentioned that’s the real deal flu and not like the bad colds that can mistakenly get labelled flu. Very sudden onset, usually accompanied by severe headache, bad muscle pain and a 24-48 hour period of vomiting. It took me months to get back to normal after getting it in my mid 20s. I have been assiduously getting the flu vaccine since then and so far have yet to have had a repeat, going on 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Never had a cough now I am coughing up my lungs for the last 14 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I do wonder what all this illness says about our way of life. As soon as we stop working and relax, the various bugs hammer us. Alcohol is probably a major factor as it significantly reduces the immune system.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

You aren't alone. I had the same symptoms late November, never had a "sinus flu" (what they finally called it) before. Stayed on daily meds (anti-inflams, antibiotics, nasal spray, steams, etc) for weeks on end, took a lot longer to ease than expected, am still feeling some residual. Hope you start feeling better soon op, until then be gentle and mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

For me having all the covid boosters and the flu vaccine the only thing i get is a sore throat and have been using Vicks First Defence for the last 3 years and not once did i get a cold.

Anytime my hair would get wet sore throat followed by a miserable cold.

Coughing i have bought Bronco Stop Lozenge's and sucking them is amazing and they work

So try Vicks First Defence nasal spray and it helps to clear colds up quicker and might give more protection with covid.

Any cough Bronco Stop Lozenge's.

Report back when you have tried them for others to get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

About a week plus ago I'd something, negative on covid and while it was mostly mild the second day I got the worst sore throat I've had in my adult life (tonsils out when small).

About 2 days of coughing up my lungs with a cutting pain each time and pain swallowing anything/nothing. Even going outside during the cold snap the air and fumes from the cars cut, had to go to the shop and passing the cleaning isle the same. Loads of salt water gargling helped but all the rest didn't reach low enough to soothe anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I had it around the start of November for about 5 days. Sinus pain,headaches, sore throat, chest pains, no energy had the lot. There was two nights I couldn't breathe through my nose and waking in the morning with a mouth completely dry. It's a rough few days with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had influenza at this time in 2019. I’ve had covid twice and neither time came close to how bad I felt with the influenza. My body basically seized up. It all came to a head when I literally couldn’t straighten my arms my muscles had essentially shut down and my temp spiked to 105. My wife thought I was having a stroke and I ended up in hospital Christmas night. Spent a few hours hooked up to a drip and then was left home to wallow away on the couch for the next week.

I lost about 1.5 stone in a fortnight and it took me a good 6 weeks to get back to full speed. Of course then I got covid at the end of March 2020 and lost another stone. I met someone I had been out for drinks with just before Christmas at Easter time and they didn’t recognise me. This type of flu is dangerous so be very careful with it and stay as hydrated as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Diagnosed with chest infection on Dec 12th. Course of antibiotics and I felt much better. A few days later this cough / sinus thing hit me and I have been sick since. My ribs and throat hurt from coughing.

Mr Sam and the minions all sick too. Antibiotics and steroids all around. Christmas week we spent 240 euro on doctors and 60 odd on meds.

Lost count of how many covid tests we did. I went back to work today and spent the day coughing in my little office corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Probably stupid question but did you do a Covid test just in case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I spent the Thursday night before Xmas vomiting , 5 trips to the dunny. Weak, blurred vision, pain in my stomach that I would rate 9/10 which traveled around to my back. Was genuinely in agony. Couldn’t work Friday. Didn’t eat anything Friday or Saturday. Felt ok Sunday and pain was only completely gone yesterday. Didn’t go to doc but did have negative covid test. Lost 8lbs in 3 days, i weigh less than 10 stone to start with.

18 month old daughter has been off crèche since 9th December, runny nose , bad cough keeping her awake at night, intermittent high temp, not eating as normal. Has been to doctor twice with it and he just said viral infection and has to fight it herself. Second visit was today (Wednesday) as cough is so chesty we’re thinking she won’t be going to crèche next Tuesday unless a massive improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Savage amount of illness knocking about. I was on antibiotics for chest infection. Now have oral thrush and can feel another dose coming on.

Lockdowns were great for out immunity eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's worse than COVID was back in January this year, I'm surprised people aren't calling for more lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well maybe people are smart enough to know why it was required then and isn't now.

I think people are just doing more mixing as those wfh are in more days which also means more days on public transport. More socializing etc.

Pre COVID you'd have a dose that went through a school or office and no one really thought too much of it. Once it gets into a school it's gets into the community etc. Anyone with kids will know this. Just how it works.

Some people are just more prone to it than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Anybody still wearing a facemask as i am still if out

Depends on the situation. In a medical setting yes. Mostly not though. I'm not in close contact in a crowd that often though. So rarely in a situation where I'd need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

This dose just went through our house. We were all vaccinated. Me over six weeks ago. The others all in last three weeks. One six year old boy was really bad. 7 days straight of fever. Two visits to gp. No appetite and lost loads of weight. Hearing loss. My husband was not vaccinated the full two weeks when he caught it and got a dose but it cleared after 3-4 days. Other six year old had a short lived thing and I had fatigue for one day. Vaccine isn’t 100% effective but I’m fairly sure it helped us out. Can really see how kids are ending up in hospital with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Yep, I wish people with a two day cold stopped saying they had the flu

• Advertisement
Advertisement