Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution work - post primary teacher

Options
  • 29-12-2022 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I am a student in a degree program that will qualify me as a teacher in a practical subject.

I would like to register with the teaching Council for substitute work.

Do schools require and pay substitute teachers to supervise classes of subjects they are not qualified to teach? Eg supervision of a “free” class.

Or.... Is substitution only given or required for specific subjects. For example, can a woodwork teacher be paid to substitute/supervise an Irish class.

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure either way actually (it’s an interesting question) but I would suspect it depends on the school?

I can tell you that when I was in school (15 years ago at this stage..) if we had a “free” class like you call it the teacher substitute usually wasn’t qualified in the subject. Woodwork would have had a math teacher supervising for example. Granted to the best of my memory these were teachers that had full time jobs in the school and just didn’t have a class that period or whatever. So may be different in your case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Teachers who are signed up to the S&S system can do up to 3 periods a week of that type of subbing. After that it's whoever is available. Some teachers have signed up to additional S&S this year, which would see them getting paid for anything over that 3. But it's up to whoever is in charge of cover in the school to decide who gets it. In most instances they're seeing if any teacher who is signed up to that additional system has the required subjects. If they can't find anyone then it's whoever they fancy giving the work to.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Who is S&S system for please ? I’ve looked at this but it’s not clear if student teachers can sign up to it or not. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick up some substitute hours !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Basically every teacher has to do 3 slots of substitution/supervision for free. If there's nobody available then they pay someone to do it, usually an NQT like yourself.

Thanks. Hopefully I can pick up some hours when doing teaching placement this year! Is there anything else I need to do apart from register with teaching council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ah, they'll throw you into any class that needs supervision in the normal course of things. That might be mostly to replace a particular teacher but shortage is acute so you will be thrown anywhere they need to make up the numbers. You'll have plenty of work, if my (Dublin) school is anything to go by. They're finding it incredibly difficult to get anybody to supervise on a regular basis, naturally enough (how one is expected to pay Dublin accommodation on uncertain substitution hours is anybody's guess).

They're maxing out the supervision roster and recently just opened a larger room where they put all unsupervised classes into that one room as they don't have the 3/4/5 teachers spare to cover the 3/4/5 distinct classes which do not have a teacher for that particular class period. And don't go near management if you want to get sufficient teachers to do a school trip/tour. The thought of covering an extra four or five teachers off on a tour for the day, on top of the regular staff shortage puts school management over the edge. The sad reality is that many classes, in fact, are left unsupervised. And that lost time adds up over the course of each year.

I'd approach principals directly. Hand them your cv, and if the secretary is gatekeeper of the year, let her know that you heard there's a shortage of teachers to substitute and that you're available at short notice. Your existence will make you a veritable God in the morning drama of covering classes. Also remember that principals ring each other looking for a spare sub so don't be surprised if another principal rings you. You could end up anywhere! I'd make a point of targeting the schools which teach the practical subject you will qualify in as if a vacancy comes up they'll be familiar with you. That will make a difference. Also, long term I would be thinking of getting a job in an area where you can buy a house so bear that in mind if you're thinking of Dublin. You definitely don't want to be renting when you could own in other parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Once you have your teaching council number you can work as a sub and you can slot in on a day to day basis to supervise any type of class to cover an absence of a teacher who may be out sick for a few days or at a match etc.

The S&S scheme is only something thst applies to the teachers that have a contract in the school. Payment is built into salary for the scheme which covers a mix of supervision of break times and substitution throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Can students (of either a combined degree or PME) get a teaching council number as a student? Or do they have to go through route 3 (for those who already hold a degree)?

What is the hourly rate for a student teacher? Is it € 38.78 per hour?

schools only pay for subs when the teacher has a certified absense, i.e. they have a doctors note. Adverse weather, school events, staff meetings, etc do not count from what ive been told by a DP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement