Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing shotgun from UK to Ireland Post Brexit

Options
  • 29-12-2022 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere, couldn't find thread except for one related to import of a firearm (pistol) from US.

Looking to bring in a DT10 shotgun from UK. The UK dealer will send the Gun to dealer in Northern Ireland who will then send it down to a nominated (by me) Republic IE dealer.

I pay shipping costs etc however what I can't get clarity on is if I am then going to have to pay duty circa 23% on the UK cost if thr gun? Spoke to IE dealer and he was sketchy on it as he's not done many since brexit, looking to hear from anyone who has gone done this route and can clarify if I am on hook for duty/VAT/tax.

Thanks.

Post edited by Shark Trager on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Talk to RFD,s in NI have it sent to the nearest one to you that will store it for you until your license is granted, once licensed import it yourself, the paperwork from the DOJ is free, to travel through the North you will need a NI firearms pass from the PSNI price 16 sterling.

I haven't used a RFD south of the border to import so can't really say for definite how taxes go, but I know one thing, I would be saying the firearm is being imported from NI as NI still work under EU customs regulations, there would be no taxes or fees.

So on any paper work your submitting for license or import the firearm is in NI at the RFD address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shark Trager

Thanks very much for your clear concise answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

What if its a private seller in England? Would they need to "sell it" to a RFD in England and then go about it as you said above? Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If you bring it into the Rep from UK mainland you will have to pay taxes, the only way around that is going through the North.

I don't know what couriers the UK dealers use, so can't help you there. But if even the seller gets it sent to the North he will still have to have a RFD in the North to take the gun and hold it.

He could get a RFD in UK to send to NI without selling the gun to the RFD, but would pay a fee to have it shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

I imported my custom 10/22 in, way back before Brexit, from a private seller. But I'd still say the same can be done now. Got in touch with a dealer here that had a contact with NI dealer. Got the seller to drop the firearm into his local dealer that would send it to the NI dealer, and told him I would only send the money to his dealer when the firearm was in with his dealer, for him to collect. His dealer sent it to the North, £90, my dealer did all the import stuff and got it sent down here €20. I applied for the license whilst all this was going on, and had the license by the time the firearm arrived.

I also did much the same and imported a restricted semi-auto shotgun.

Post edited by clivej on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Dealer did it all for me

Advertisement