Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a bale of silage cost?

Options
  • 29-12-2022 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

In the Munster region, this time last year a bale of good silage cost €25 and a bale of good hay cost €30.

I'm wondering with the price of things going up over the last year, would a bale of good silage in Munster now cost €30? Or is it still €25?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Check DoneDeal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I've seen poor enough stuff go for 35, stuff sold at 45 as well that I personally wouldn't have rated as worth it. I sold bales at 45 that were decent stuff to a neighbour.

You wouldn't be going far wrong at costing a bale at 30 euro all in and good stuff dearer, add in a margin for the man selling from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭GerryCarry

So €30 per bale of silage from a neighbor would be fair? As he would not have to deliver it, I would just be taking it from his yard? No deliver cost.

I would be cheaping out if I only gave him €25 a bale like I did last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

If its good stuff it is worth €45 a bale if you really want to pay him the current market value of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

I sold silage to a neighbour last year at 30 with him collecting it. I sold it at the same money delivered and fed bale by bale to another neighbour.

First lad won't ever get any again because he bitched about the price and landed me with a cheque after agreeing cash.

Second lad is a nuisance but I'll supply him again although I'll be rising it on him this year.

He gives me a bit of slurry which is important because I don't have any.

No point in selling it for what it cost to make and your field gone for 10 weeks of the best growing time.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

€35 to €45 depending on quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

From what I hear, bales are between 40 and 50 around here.

I'll be paying cash.

This guy never complained about getting €25 a bale before. Of course that doesn't mean he was or wasn't happy about the €25 price. He just accepted it.

But I felt I should give €30 this year with the price of everything going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

I made 2nd cut silage. 3 bags of 18-6-12 per acre cost €145. Mowing €25\acre, Tedding and raking €16 per acre, baling, wrapping and plastic €11 per bale or €88 per acre at 8 bales to the acre.

That's €274 per acre. Divide by 8 bales leaves silage costing €34.25 on owned land not including drawing them in.

Pay the man properly for his silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Why pay cash?

I got €27 cash a few weeks ago. It’s the same as €50 to me through a cheque but can’t see the value for your man paying cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

He doesn't understand what it's taking out of his land, each bale takes the equivalent of half a bag of 0 10 20 out of the land , That must be €20 on its own , plus approx €17/bale to the contractor, add in land rent and you'd be over €40/ bale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Plenty of cash farmers out there, not known or pursued by the tax man, who pay in cash as a way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They aren't getting cash from the factory, mart or creamery so I can’t see the point of paying for something farm related with notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yes, they not getting it in cash from them businesses .

But they can from pensions, stealing or simply running a farm not under the eye of the taxman.

Cash is still a big king, and most transactors, (from contractors to solicitors) including other farmers selling bales will tend to do a better deal for hard cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know a few guys around here mad for cash too. If you are in the higher rate of tax, then it's worth a lot more. Coming back to the cost of selling bale's, it depends where you are. I see around here that alot of dry stock farmers have nearly two years bale's in the yards. A lot have cut down down on cattle. If springs comes in March like this year then they won't be sold. While I know in dry land there may be tighter supplies

So paying €30 a bale in cash might, to some farmers, be the equivalent of paying €45 by cheque per bale.

I don't know what the farmer does with the cash I give him with regard to his tax affairs. That's his business, not mine. Of course he should be paying tax, but I have no way to make him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Cost me over €40 a bale to make this year. I reckon closer to €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Silage is costing about 36-38/bale to make. That would be decent high DM silage cut late May and mid June.

Some lads are willing to deal in cash as they are not extremely profitable, they have nearly 17k now in personal tax credits and have write offs for jeep, diesel etc.

By paying cash they save a bit on costs sometimes, however if they hit any tax band savings disappear.

Never sell silage but if someone was paying cash I probably take cost price if they were paying cas, if they were paying cheque or credit transfer I would want a tenner a bale margin.

I don't sell silage so it dose not matter

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I've costed my silage at €36 per bale to make and stack in the yard, and that's not including my own labour for spreading and drawing in the bales.

If the silage is of good quality i would expect to pay €40+ and i would'nt consider that dear either.

But that's my silage, what you are buying maybe different, how much bag and slurry did it get? Bailed dry or wet? Chopped or not? Double wrapped of not? How many are you buying from him?

If i was selling silage i would try and do a better deal to a man buying 100 bales that a man buying 2?

€25-€50 a bale is the range, bad stuff to top quality.

It's impossible to give one single answer.

• Advertisement

What I was considering €30 cash per bale was good silage baled dry in September. Almost no rushes. I don't think it was chopped. I think it was single wrapped. Field had slurry only put out for that particular round of silage cutting. Probably had 18-6-12 or something like that put out a few months earlier for the previous crop of silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Everyplace has a different description of good silage. Early September silages poorly fertlized 30 is probably plenty for it

Slava Ukrainii

Actually i'm mixing up the crops. The bales i'm buying for €30 cash per bale were from the June crop which had been fertilized with 18-6-12 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I bought silage a few year back but bought pit silage as I knew what I was getting. It was only 4km away so I could get few ton at a time for the 60 odd stores I winter. Got it for about 3 weeks or so. Bale's are tricky to buy as you don't know what you are getting. A neighbor got about 50 Bale's last spring off me as they got stuck. We both agreed they would replace bale's back in the summer which they did & it worked out well for both. I would only do that for a neighbor or someone I knew very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

2013 a neighbour gave me 30 bales when the east wind was blowing for 3 weeks. They were a big help. He would take nothing.

Roll on beast from the east in 2018 and I had surplus bale's. He got 44 from me that I had stacked on the out farm. Again no money changed hands. Again, as you said the heff, I have other neighbours wouldn't have that courtesy extended to them, nor would they extend it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Neighbour has asked me to sell bales also .. there extra wrapped aswell and I would have to be getting €37.50 a bale to break even I reckon. The cost to replace them knowing that there very good quality doesn't add up so I hope he manages with what he has because he's a very good neighbour and would get hard to refuse.

On the cash Discussion I used to do alot of relief milking years ago and gave it up long since. A few dairy farmers have come to me asking would I cover relief milkings recently and as soon as I mention I would have to get cash as I would be wasting my tine there not interested. Before figures are even discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Just off topic. A lot of my bales on top have taken in water. Cheap white plastic I blame. Anyone else with the top row suffering takinginwater syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Why would you have to get cash? Simp!y quote a price that after tax will give you the hourly rate you want.This will send them running quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Advertisement