Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Pele

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will rightly go down as one of the All Time greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

What a player what a gentleman what a legend Rip Pele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP. only ever got to see highlights but one of the best by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Would of loved too have seen him play,I can only imagine what a privilege that was for those who did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

One of the GOATs undoubtedly. May he rest in peace.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Rewatched hours of many of his games. Although I wouldn't rate him alongside Maradona or Cruyff, he's certainly the next best. Many overate him, while the other half underrate him, well from what I've seen.

I think he had parallels with his fellow countryman Ronaldo. Along with goals, deceivingly quick and strong, could drop deep and had great vision. A player with a great all round powerful and skillful game, when you strip back the goals

He was the favorite with the powers that be in world football, and in many respects a great ambassador for the game, and in other respects naive. His name did become synonymous with the sport, and in that respect transcended it with near mythical status.

He departs not long behind Maradona and Cruyff, whom many would of regarded as the holy trinity in the sport. He'll leave a big hole, one way or another. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's cool how even though most of us weren't around when he was active, as kids we all knew the name Pele and how important he was to the sport. The sign of a true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just heard the news. Rip. He finished playing long before I was born, but I respect his name within the game. He's held up there as one of the greats alongside Maradona, and now undisputedly Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

RIP to a legend.

Three-time World Cup winner.

The poor Italian tasked with marking him in the 1970 final was Tarcisio Burgnich. In a post-match interview, he said

"I told myself before the game, he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else – but I was wrong."

Of the opening goal of the 4-1 win, a Pele header, he said

"The cross came in and we both leapt as high as we could. Then I came down to Earth where I belong. And he stayed up there, where he belongs, and scored."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Him and George Best started my obsession with football - caught the tail end of his career as a 10 year old.

seamed diffferent heroes to the likes of Neymar and Ronaldo today. more humble, yet brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh you do know that he was doing a Cruyff turn before Cruyff was ever heard of?

He only played in Brazil and latterly the States, but he was playing on Brazilian teams (club and country) that would dispatch the best European teams of the day.

There was an aura about him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Think he once said that George best was As good if not better than himself……funny how Best is not mentioned anymore in the list of GOAT’s……it’s Messi Renaldo and to a lesser extent maradona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Understandably so...while Best was great it wasn't for long enough to be considered one of the true greats of the game like Pele.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Neymar getting as lot of flak for not attending funeral, particularly with his Santos background and was serving a suspension with PSG anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The first global football superstar and the only one to win 3 world cups the first as a 17 year old! A true legend way before my time but reading the comments of those who played with and against him tells you all you need to know. He is even more inspiring as a black Brazilian considering the racism they suffer in Brazil. RIP Pele.

Advertisement