Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2023 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Today's stage in the Tour of Romandie - does it suit Eddie? Or what day is his best bet?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've given up on that podcast because of the hate of EF. Like I get he doesn't like JV, but can't give them any credit at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

His TT record isn't great. That said he did a solid Prologue the other day so who knows. Maybe he has been working on it. Sobrero is a better TTer on paper. Tomorrow is the interesting one (I mistakenly thought today was the mountain stage in my post earlier) for him really as he looks based on yesterday to be in decent shape but today is also interesting as we'll get an idea if he has been concentrating on TTs. Ultimately I don't know what he wants to be himself. He was always touted as a future GC man and Team Jayco certainly talked him up that way saying he would be leader (co?) in the Giro.

While I'm posting in case nobody saw the Netflix documentary has a date (8th June) and it's not called Ride to Survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Remember Tiberi who was suspended by Trek for shooting the cat of San Marino's minister for tourism? He's been sacked completely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Don't f**k with cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The riders are just starting the final climb in the queen stage of the Tour de Romandie.

decent finish for dunbar, jayco were pulling at the front for him for a good while further down the climb

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ugh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sam dropped in Eschborn-Frankfurt but not that surprising. A tougher profile this year.

• Advertisement

Sam is back in the peloton. Looks like he has at least three team mates with him

Final climb done... Sam was right at the back of the peloton in an absolute world of pain. He should get back up to the front of the peloton. But it doesn't look like Bora are properly supporting him 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Jayco say Eddie heads their GC ambitions (Matthews is leader)

“Fresh from his recent top-10 finish overall at a hard edition of the Tour of Romandie, Dunbar is in high spirits for the Italian Grand Tour and the Irishman will have a strong support group around him, in the shape of experienced road captain Alessandro De Marchi, and the young and motivated Italian champion Filippo Zana

Australia’s Callum Scotson, who is quickly becoming one of the most valued support riders on the squad, will also be a key asset for Dunbar in the crucial third and final week, which is full of challenging alpine climbs set to determine the overall standings”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would be great if at some stage in this Giro the 2 lads get up the road alone.

Kirby can scream to his hearts content about "Irish raiding parties"

The last week is brutal. I can't see Remco beating Primo on those climbs.

It's all about how he does in the time trials. If he can build up a big lead then he has a very good chance.

Thing is, one of those time trials is insane. It's the penultimate stage. It's a short stage, I think it's only 18km but about eight of it is uphill and the first 5km of it are at 15%.

Of course we've seen too many things happen to Roglic in grand tours but I think if he finishes it he wins because I think theres too many climbs where Primo has an advantage. Having Kuss there is a massive help too.

I watched the Lanterne Rouge preview earlier, I hadn't looked at the route for the Giro in a few months, forgot/didn't realise how insane it is. Some mental climbs, particularly in the last week. Remco is probably rightly favourite, but not at the ridiculous 8/11 that he currently is. Don't think he had as tough a profile in the Vuelta last year, and the one thing that him (and Roglic) are not fond of or excel in is bad weather, which the Giro is expected to have in spades.

Could honestly see someone like TGH, Almeida or Caruso winning it, purely by grinding it out and not losing major time on a given day. Look at these 3 stages, any GC guys on an off-day could lose 5mins plus. Or if its lashing rain and cold, could see Remco and Rog suffering going up and down the climbs.

Some good news for Ben Healy.

EF and POC have developed a non Space Balls looking TT helmet.

Foss and Gesink out with covid for Jumbo. Replaced by Dennis and Van Emden

Yeah it's so mental anything could happen. The first person that came to my mind when I seen the vicious climbs was Hugh Carthy. He's a real grinder.

I still can't see past the too two though and Roglic for me should be the favourite. He's shown great form already this year too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The last TT is murderously tough. The route is designed purely to take back the mantle of most exciting GT from the Vuelta. I am quite happy with it, despite there being no Mortirolo, Stelvio or Zoncolan.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Rog tends to fade a bit in the third week though. I really wouldn't be surprised by a wildcard win. Carthy a good shout as he's not rubbish at a TT for a climber.

I'm surprised at all the covid positives (although heard of a lot around here as well the last week or so) - are they still doing the routine tests or are they testing symptomatic riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There are no more UCI-mandated compulsory tests or vaccination passports for races since about the start of the year. Any testing is down to teams or individuals.

Velogames Giro League, all are welcome:

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I guess teams are testing to avoid running the risk of someone with an infection ruling out the whole team once the race starts. Losing a few solid domestiques is probably the better option in that case. You'd wonder what shape replacements are in though, must be tough to be called up to race for three weeks on a tough route in potentially miserable weather with three or four days notice

They can ride their way into shape for the last week. It's not like 30 years ago when everyone went clubbing and got fat over the winter (I'm looking at you Jan), they maintain a relatively high level all year round.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

One year in the TdF, a rider crashed (over a TV cable, IIRC) while warming up for the prologue and they drafted in a replacement with 1-2 hours notice.

PCS are suggesting that Healy could podium in the Giro

Uran is listed as leader for them and he’s a better bet. Looking at their team, it looks like Ben and Magnus Cort will be giving free roles effectively

I would be a bit weary of any English language publications bigging Healy up for the Giro. They have a habit of pandering to their audience a little.

Sure, just passing it on in case anyone didn’t see it.

• Advertisement

Lads,

The league is looking a little small, can you send on to your mates if you're playing. I won't feel anywhere near as proud when I win a small league.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement