Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Candle wax dripped into Audio Receiver!

Options
  • 30-12-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

As you can see in the photo, candle wax has dripped into an audio receiver (a Sony STR-DN1080).

What should I do?!

The receiver is working fine. I am tempted to leave the wax there. I am afraid that if I try to remove it, I will break something.

If I leave the wax there, is there a danger of components overheating? Is there a fire risk?

Any advice wouid be much appreciated. I don't know anything about electronics!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

You could get a cloth or paper towel press it onto the wax and blast it with a hairdryer.

That should start to melt the wax and it'll soak into the cloth.

You could also speed up the process by pulling some of the wax off, taking care not to pry any parts off the board of course.

Just melt a bit, then step away for a while to let everything cool down because prolonged heating will damage the components.

Once you have the wax off, some isopropyl alcohol should remove the residue

Advertisement