Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you do in 2022?

Options
  • 31-12-2022 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I am -10% versus -16% for eur adjusted S&P 500 benchmark. Losers across multiple stocks but worst was Google, which is the only large tech stock I hold but it makes up 30% of my account. Best performing was Bank of Ireland (thanks to those on here who tipped me off on it).

I’m expecting more pain in 2023, but I don’t hold anything I would expect to be badly hit (Tesla, growth stocks, crypto) so will hopefully not be too bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Overall -25% for the year 🙈

5% of that was lost overnight with the LUNA crap, that was my worst investment. Cashing out a lot of crypto in Q1 and buying a place was my best investment.

For stocks, OXY did great. Pretty much everything else was down, SHOP was the biggest culprit.

Much more balanced going into the new year, with some cash on the side if some bargains appear. Could be another rough year, who knows.

Anyone finish the year in profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Stocks -20%.

Crypto -75%.

I didn't buy much this year, just spent the year building a cash position. I feel we'll get some great opportunities in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I havent looked much at my portfolio performance over time as I know its been horrific, hit new lows last week. Turns out I was actually near breakeven at the start of the year (thought I was in the red longer than that), and am now down just over 30%. Looking back a year or 2 shows ho much I've actually tanked...

The sum invested vs actual balance over the same time shows I've slowed down the investment through the year, but when I have it was really throwing good money after bad.

I have no interest in crypto, and have boring standard savings/deposits elsewhere, so not under pressure to sell or free up cash. Will probably cut my losses on a few donkeys (Hi GAN!) , stick to more blue chip stocks with value (VW, Alphabet, GSK, etc), and ride it out. Things can only get better, right???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Poor year on my investment account (pension safer in index funds). Far too many growth stocks, down 50% which took out a lot of the Covid surge gains. Only bright side is that I didn’t catch any falling knives, stopped investing when the market was in free fall and have a nice bit of cash saved now for the rebound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The positives included Hibernia REIT getting bought out,also bought UK bonds at lows in October , big option trade win on Netflix and then subsequently bought at the lows

everything else horrible , Tesla being the worst

down 13.5% for the year overall on an 80-20 stocks / bonds ratio

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ditto, my biggest losses were during the Covid crash and remain down from that, PERI which was a large % of my portfolio was up about 20% last year which helped offset losses. I was briefly up overall due to MARA but lost all gains when BTC went belly up again. Not ever going near BTC related stocks again.If i was smarter i'd have done some tax loss selling but the paperwork is too complicated from a taxation point of view so i just held.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

+10% myself didn't add much more funds but did reshuffe a few holdings, BOI the big gainer, liquidated some of my position at thd end of thd year to max out the CGT Allowence. 4D was a pup buy was less than 2% of my holding at its height. Jfrog was another punt, down 50% but again small holding. Coke, Pepsi, BATS and Imp Brands nice and steady with some divpaid out along the way.

All in all not a bad year but my running average is 25%apr so not as good as other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Some losses in Tech maybe 2 or 3k but large winners in banking and insurance gave me a great return in the black. No idea of the percentage returns I made but my CGT payable was 5k so 15k profit of there abouts. My big one I am hoping is June 2024 with the vesting of SAYE scheme currently seen a return of 138% if all things stayed equal (wishful thinking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Short and sweet - overall down 48%, far too many risky growth stocks that I can see will never come back up. Positive plays were some FTSE stocks and Indian Stock exchange index funds.

Expecting a lot more turbulence this year so I think I'll be holding cash for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement