Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of Pope Benedict XVI

• 31-12-2022 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭

Poep Benedict met the good lord at 9:34 this morning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May he rest in peace

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Requiescat in pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rip benny

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭vimalandrew

I am so sad that such a great man who could have transformed the world has died without achieving anything. And I am responsible for his resignation. I am an intellectual person and some of the articles I published in the Internet caused his resignation. May the great pope rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

May Pope Benedict Rest In Peace and Rise In Glory. It is was his genius to try discard the futile hermeneutic of rupture concerning V2 and replace it with something more fruitful, a hermeneutic of continuity and mutual enrichment

Sadly the Argentine Pope decided after a few years in Office to resurrect the old rancour and try deprive the faithful of the Mass of Ages. Thankfully this effort has not succeeded.

One of the Benedict's greatest achievements, which actually survived an initial attempt by his successor to stymie them (as part of trying to reinstate Mauro Inzoli then appealing his conviction for sexual abuse), was a definite and clear canonical process to remove and dismiss those men who besmirch the priestly office with abuse of children, adults or other grave crimes. In connection with this, one very unclear case of dealing with an accused priest from his time as bishop in Germany was brought up. The comparison of one possible case with the endless array under Pope Francis before and during his Pontificate is instructive.

Pope Benedict probably saw that on becoming Pope, and despite all he did, there remaining so much moral depravity, and someone with more energy was needed. It is unlikely Benedict envisaged the bosom friend of Julio César Grassi as that man, but despite the volumes of attacks on the victims commissioned by the Abp of Buenos Aires, now Pope Francis, Grassi got 15 years for his crimes.

Still despite the resignation, Pope Benedict did so much good, good which hasn't been undone.

The official bio is very scant for his Papacy, as though Benedict was Pope for a few days, like JP1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

i think history will be kind to him.

In the fullness of time it will become clear that his predecessor JP2 was not as saintly as the world was lead to believe.

Pope Benedict had the misfortune of becoming Pope as an old man (78years old).

i do believe with his intellect and deep theological background he would have been a great pope if he got the job instead of JP2 back in 1978

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

May he RIP. JP 2 never did it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

History won't be kind to him.

He was a technocrat, a cold theologian, an intractable arch-conservative and an exclusionary figure.

Bring the Pope, the Bishop of Rome and having the justifiably earned nickname 'God's Rottweiler' are a very poor fit.

The Princes of the Church chose him because he was powerful, not because God inspired them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Anyone can come up with an unflattering nickname for someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement