Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic plasterboard versus insulated plasterboard for ceilings for sound reduction between floors?

Options
  • 31-12-2022 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Grateful for any experience or expertise people are willing to share.

I'm going to try to improve insulation and soundproofing between first and ground floor in my house which is undergoing renovation, I have all the ceilings pulled down for rewiring and replumbing anyways

My planned buildup is (from bedroom upstairs down)

• 12mm laminate -
    • 5mm underlay -
    • existing 18mm timber floorboards -
    • 200mm of insulation between joists -
    • gypliner channels perpendicular to existing joists to reduce impact noise-
    • 15mm acoustic plasterboard/ 37.5mm insulated plasterboard (25mm insulation+12.5mm plasterboard)

Since the cost of acoustic plasterboard is very similar to insulated plasterboard I'm wondering if I would actually be better using insulated plasterboard to reduce airborne sound? The combination of plasterboard and insulation material would hopefully be better than just acoustic plasterboard? The cost is essentially the same?

I'll have no spot lights in the ceiling downstairs as well.

I have 2800mm ceiling heights so plenty of ceiling height to play with.

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement