Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken mudguard bolt, will a local bike shop be able to fix this ?

Options
  • 31-12-2022 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I went to remove my front mudguard today to clean it and the head of the retaining bolt sheared clean off:

I was untightening it by hand with a screwdriver so I guess the bolt must have been really **** quality. Would a local bike shop have some way of removing the body of the the bolt so that a new screw could be used ?

If not, is there some other way a new front mudguard could be attached ? It seems in principle it could be held in place with brackets attaching to the fork on either side but the cross-section of the forks may be very specific. The bike is a Giant Rapid 2 2018:

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Yep, I’d be surprised if any mechanic was defeated by this one.

Could be as simple as drilling the bolt with drill bits increasing in size until the bolt crumbles and falls away. Or a bolt-removal kit may be required.

Either way, not a big job. You could help them out by cleaning around the bolt and flushing with wd40 or similar prior to removal...

Advertisement