Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing double height ceiling

Options
  • 01-01-2023 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

I hope this is in the right forum. I bought a late 1970’s bungalow. It looks like I’m the 90’s a previous owner replaced the original ceiling to replace it with a double height ceiling in the kitchen. They used wood planks and beams instead of plaster. There is questionable electrics with the lights.

Look wise it’s not what I like at all and have painted in in the meantime. The issues are I am concerned it’s a fire safety issue and as the beams of shrink over time, there are gaps which means the room is never warm as the heat leaks out.

I am looking at in the future replacing the wood planks with plaster board. But I’m not sure is this a roofer job or plaster job? I know the wooden beams can be of it’s time so wondering if anybody bought an older house and replaced these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Old houses are cold and possible no insulation above. Wooden houses can be warm as i was inside one with wooden walls and ceilings and liked it a lot.

If you were changing the inside you would update new lights and wiring as up to code.

Builder/electrician and plasterer i would think?

Roofer is for outside i would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I had a look in the attic and it was insulated. But hard to tell if they placed insulation around the double height ceiling as it goes to the roof. They put in a Velux window. So the double height ceiling goes straight up to the roof - which is why I was not sure where to start. I don’t mind if the kitchen ceiling goes back to normal height if that was cheaper than keeping the double height.

I would update the lighting situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If you knew someone with a thermal camera it might show up if its storing the heat or letting it escape from the kitchen roof.

Might give you an idea but plan on adding more just in case.

We had an extension built years ago and room was cold 8 inches of air between ceiling and roof so rafterlock , and 30mm warm boards on ceiling with new rooflights.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Thanks for that tip

Advertisement