Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renter's tax credit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

wont let me amend the SOL as it is still being processed .sent them a message instead. hope they see it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I only had the RTB number and submitted that on Tuesday and received rebate this morning. To be honest I either didn't see the LPT bit or ignored it and instantly forgot about it. I did put in letting agent's name though.

Would the the three numbers not be linked on Revenue's system anyway so possible they only need one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You can leave all these fields blank.

I only typed in landlord's name and it was processed straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Che15Deng30

You are lucky. I applied mine monday and still no response. Hopefully soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Eims5769

Did you get the refund already? if so, great! it's painful they want info beyond the address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Only info I entered was address of property, landlords name and address. I know it was def registered with RTB but I couldn't find the number online as it was from last year. Money went into account on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I didn't think it was the case but this article states that licensees can also claim it?

Edit:

Ah they actually can alright:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-15/15-01-11A.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

Irelands tax system is largely self assessed. You would not normally notice this if you are an employed person but it does not absolve you from your legal responsibilities to submit correct information to the revenue. The penalties for submitting a false claim are quite harsh and rightly so, it is also quite easy for revenue to detect.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Just claim the credit , the landlord saying he can't register is utter bolix. Hasn't tried hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Hi, I submitted the tax credit last week (i think thurs). I didn't take the ref. no. down. Where on revenue site can you track it? That's if you can. I didn't get a confirmation email.

• Advertisement

By way of an update my land lord just text and confirmed he had finally managed to register after trying since before Christmas.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yeah, my comment was just a comment because of such a swift return ;)

Some people do claim extras they shouldn't, but in fairness most people do either pay rent or other charges (LPT) when owning a property rather than renting so probably easy for Revenue to flag those who claimed despite not renting if that makes sense.

Good to see some cash being returned our way regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Applied last Wednesday and haven't heard anything yet. Surprised when others seem to be getting it pretty quick, but sure we'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 39 parisee88

This all has a bang of the early days of the PUP in 2020 when people were just being trusted to have good faith. Have heard of a few people who claimed it for too long/in error getting followed up and others who did not. Wild that renters feeling they cant piss off their unregistered landlord and they win again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corex

Can one claim renter's tax credit if you were only renting for the last 6 months in 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

There's a field for the tenancy dates. Fill those in and it should tell if not.

I only claimed for the first half of the year as I stopped renting afterwards. The credit is based on the rent amount paid so I was still eligible for the full 500 euro tax credit.

I applied either Thursay or Wednesday, last week. Not refunded yet. There doesn't seem to be tracking so I guess it's just wait and see. I think the people who got the refund last week, in a few days were probably in before the rush. Lots of articles about last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I applied on the 3rd Jan and got the refund today. Although they offset some of it against my liability for being on the wage subsidy scheme during covid so I didn't get the full amount but still happy enough with it as it paid off the remainder of my underpaid tax from 2020 so glad to have that over and done with and when we can apply for the 2023 rent tax credit next month I will get the full amount

Did you get an email to tell you about it or notice on revenue?

I actually didn't, I noticed the money go into my bank account this morning so I went on to my revenue online account and checked my statement of liability. Still waiting on my amended tax credit certificate so I am sure once that's ready they might send me a notification

• Advertisement

I applied yesterday at lunch time.

Hadn't got an email notification or anything but was checking my PAYE anytime for something else just there and noted an updated statement confirming 500 would be payed to my account. I only gave the landlords name and the address of the property.

For a frame of reference on expected receipt of funds to ones account. I applied for my health expenses on 3rd January, received an updated statement again without email notification to the PAYE anytime on 6th January and the funds were received into my bank account just after midnight on today the 10th.

So all very efficient I must say.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I should have said also, I only gave Landlords name, address of the property and the RTB number. Wasn't asked for any of the other stuff which I left blank

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

I rent a room to a guy in my home the last few years at a minimal rent and not increased in all that time .

Will he be entitled to claim this allowance..

My flat mate is a non EU PHD student. He tutors part time a few hours a week in Trinity. Will he be able to claim the renters tax credit does anyone know?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Did he pay any tax? The credit is a claim back of tax previously paid.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yes he paid some tax but I think it would be less than the standard rate cut off point?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

I'm filling out my 2022 return online, and I always use Form 11, but there doesn't seem to be any section there for claiming this credit. Anyone know where it's located? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It's not there yet. Will be towards the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Submitted mine yesterday and got the updated Statement of Liability today, saying credit will be paid to my account. Happy days.

Also, didn't have an RTB number, so just filled out mandatory fields and that seemed to be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Advertisement