Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding Shares

Options
  • 02-01-2023 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

What are the ways I hold shares / prove ownership if for example I buy shares of Microsoft through somewhere like DeGiro or Davy? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Who are you trying to prove it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Proof of ownership. Could be for a mortgage application, could be to sell through a different broker than where they were bought.

I'm basically asking when shares are bought how are they held?

...in the broker account, somewhere else, ect. Question is very basic entry level share buying query, it's not a complicated personal situation.

Well shares are no longer a physical thing, so they're not physically held anywhere. Similar to a bank, you deposit €100, those two €50 notes aren't put in a safe for just you, it's added to your bank statement. Brokers have statements also.

If you're selling or transferring to another broker, that transaction is now done electronically too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Is there some digital form of evidence that the owner/investor can hold independent of a broker.

Not really sure what you'd expect to be honest. It's the same digital evidence that you have money in your bank account, you log on to a system, and see pixels and characters that tell you your holdings

• Advertisement
Advertisement