Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrecorded Monument

Options
  • 02-01-2023 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I recently submitted details to the National Monuments Service for what I believe to be an unrecorded monument in my area. The report was successful and in response I was informed a field visit will be required before the monument can be verified.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know how long this usually takes. I ask as the monument in question is in an exposed and harsh location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 snowdaisy

Archaeologists will visit probably for a couple of hours initially, a bit longer or for a second visit if they want to do a survey (non-invasive like scan / aerial) but this is unusual. They are generally well used to working outdoors and in tricky territory.

If you can show them the location on a map / Google satellite then they may not need you to go with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

How did that go in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

AFAIK the field visit never happened, I sometimes check the online historical environment viewer and it's still the same, up for review or whatever.

Its a pity as its a very harsh environment, right on the ocean. The forces that caused the sands to shift and expose the midden will eventually destroy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Ireland largest monument is a midden, over 2 km long. It has only has something like 2 c14 dates. These things are basically totally un understood.

Advertisement