Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new build

Options
  • 03-01-2023 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Dear all,

I'm looking to build a new PC and seeking your always helpful input.

1. What is your budget? €1000-€1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming for 2560x1440 144 hz freesync monitor and general purpose home use, internet and office apps etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] no.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No have an old one.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I have no interest.

8. How can you pay? Prefer credit card

9. When are you purchasing? Immediately for child's birthday in a couple of weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I've built before.

I've been reading up toms hardware and am torn between an i5 13600 build and a Ryzen 58003DX build, and whether to go DDR 4 or DDR5 if I go Intel.

I took a go at PC partfinder in UK but couldn't work out how to insert the link:

I did another very similar DDR4 version of this and it saved about €120, is the DDR 5 worth this?

Where do people go to buy stuff these days? I've used mind factory in the distant past, but more recently have only used amazon in the UK for replacement bits and pieces.

Would appreciate a more knowledgeable look at this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think you can save a lot of money by dialling it back on the unnecessarily expensive CPU, mobo and RAM core you've chosen. You said budget is €1-1,500, but you're already at £1,500.

Ryzen 5800X with 16GB good DDR4 and a B550M is more than adequate and would save you a big chunk of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Thanks Homelander,

My logic is to try to get the bones strong so I have a good chance of ekeing out 5-6 years from the machine. I did that somewhat successfully (couple of failed components...grrr) with my last i5 build.

The DDR5 build is creeping over the budget alright but only by €120. I guess that is my big dilemma. Is DDR5 worth it looking at that time horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

My gut instincts are that on that timeline AM5 with DDR5 is worth the extra as you would expect a longer term piece by piece upgrade path but DDR5 Vs DDR4 for Intel isn't worth that much of a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭€>sense

Thanks minitrue,

So would that mean something like a 7700x, the 58003DX is only AM4 and I don't think there's an option for DDR5?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Yes but with your description I'd probably go with the 7600x as it's for gaming (not productivity). By the time you are even considering a cpu upgrade you'll probably have X3D and newer generations of chips to pick from at a wide range of prices unlike the Intel route where the upgrades from the 13600K will likely hold their value a lot higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement