Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW service overdue tolerance

• 03-01-2023 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi folks, somebody might have the answer to this as BMW Ireland don't! My car is booked for a service in 2 weeks but it looks like I will have exceeded the mileage limit for the oil change at that point by about 400km. Does anyone know how many km I can travel before it turns to "Amber Ok" and then red on the IDrive? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Service can be done +/- 1,500km without affecting warranty or service pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

Thanks a mill for this R.O.R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is true but the iDrive will display red, green or amber at different intervals. And they stay that colour in every service print out in the future.

Means nothing in reality.

That’s the questions BMW can’t answer based on the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

Can they actually go red? I thought it was only amber and green, I've never seen red 🤔

Agreed it means nothing, it's a scare tactic to keep you servicing with BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Good question. I only seen green and amber too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I haven't a clue I'm afraid - never been asked that.

My X1 went red when it went 500km over service mileage. Think that was 2 days before it was booked in for service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

It is nonsense. Only a scare tactic to extract a few quid from people who don't know any better.

400km won't make shít difference. Nor would 4000 really.

In the same league as posters who say stuff like "oh my timing belt was meant to be done at 100,000km and when I got home in noticed the odo was at 100,001! Might have I done any serious damage? help me! "

I am exagerating of course, but you get my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

God forbid someone services their car on time. I wouldn’t want to buy a car from you

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

From reading UK forums, it seems as though the following applies:

Service carried out on time: Service History is marked as Green ok.

Service carried out within 1 month overdue/1000 miles overdue: Service History is marked as amber ok but tells you how long/how many miles it was overdue.

Service carried out beyond this: Service history is marked as red and again tells you how long/how many miles it was overdue. As R.O.R pointed out, BMW warranty and service pack seems to allow you approx 1500 km and 1 month overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Christ, modern cars are such an absolute racket. Catch penny feckers the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They can do 30,000 km on a service. That's way too long as it is (is it any wonder they have had timing chain and other issues over the years?), I certainly think it is an issue if they are overdue. It would be a different story if it was 15,000 km oil changes, when modern oils can comfortably do more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

It depends on the driving style and the amount of time that has lapsed between servicing too. There are lots of UK company cars doing high motorway mileage being serviced twice or three times a year at 20k mile intervals (32k km’s). That I have no problem with. Me personally with my driving style I would probably stick to yearly oil changes since my mileage is quite low.

Advertisement