Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for old/listed properties

Options
  • 03-01-2023 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

At latter stages of purchase of 120 year old listed building. It's a standard house, nothing grand.

Getting nervous hearing not only expensive quotes but unusual demands from insurers.

Re-plumbed within 25 years.

New electrics within 25 years.

And the big one: re-ROOFED within 40 years.

Plumbing and eletrics have been added to and improved and all is functional. We intend modernising further in the next year.

Roof is solid and a surveyor was enamoured with the strength, style, and material of its construction. The notion of replacing this roof is not only not on the cards for us, but would remove what makes it a heritage building.

Can anyone who owns a listed building tell me who insures you? Have you come across these kinds of demands before? Are you fibbing and saying 'yes' to all the above?

The above example was what Zurich asked for.

Post edited by jedhead85 on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Have you tried a broker? I have a similar house and basically only Lloyd’s underwriting syndicates are interested in providing cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are you getting a mortgage or paying cash?

i.e. do you need insurance to close? (If you can't get it anywhere)

If buying with cash. Do you want to buy a property that is uninsurable?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

I live in an old, protected house too, easiest thing is to use a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I bought a protected structure a few years ago. I had all the same concerns re insurance. However, it was surprisingly straightforward getting the insurance in the end. I was thinking of re-roofing after buying so I had a surveyor look at the roof and he stated that it is in great condition. Perhaps a copy of the survey outlining the condition of the roof may resolve this issue?

As others have mentioned, you won't get anywhere talking to direct insurers. I made the mistake of trying to get a quote through a direct insurer and it freaked me out when they said they were unable to quote.

Once I got onto brokers, the quotes came in no bother. I've used Campion and Glennons over the years, and all quotes reasonable. I am paying double what my brother who bought a new build is paying, but I don't particularly mind that.

A lot of people are scared off of listed and older buildings for the reasons you are. But once you dig down and see that insurance isn't actually that big of an issue, you'll be delighted you put in that extra bit if effort.

It was the best decision I ever made. Because it's listed, far fewer people were interested, which resulted in me buying a fantastic house at a very reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

OP's wife here :)

Thanks a mill for all the input.

Thanks Rothmans, that puts our mind at ease.

We found a broker who have quoted us with Plum insurance, and waiting to hear back from another broker.

We are very excited about the house, and like you say, looks like we are getting a fantastic house too without a bidding war, due to its listed status. I am just a bit nervous that if Plum decide not to cover them any more that we'll be stuck. But hopefully there'll always be some bespoke insurer who will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jenson13

Hello all, I’m an owner of a historic house / listed building for the past 2 years. Delighted to see the options for insurance. We went directly to FBD to include insurance on the land with the house and we are paying €1,200. Could I ask what age your properties are and what your insurance is costing?

Advertisement