Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upright radiators

• 03-01-2023 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

We need to replace 2 radiators in our kitchen and master bedroom to upright radiators due to renovations.

Is there any difference in what one could by, or are all radiators generally the same just a case of what style you want?

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is huge variation in style but the general options are: classic white rad, cast-iron, alu, designer.

I was in Chadwicks Plumb last week looking at the selection of rads in a catalogue which they have and it's completely endless. All you need to do is match the wattage requirement to what's in the catalogue and work from there. I've also bought off these guys in the recent past: https://www.theradiatorshop.ie/237-high-output-radiators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As per above, there is an endless range of different types. The last two I fitted a few years ago were from B&Q and have been absolutely flawless, they weren't even that expensive. As screwfix is the same parent company as B&Q i wouldn't be surprised if they had some also.

Make sure they are correctly anchored to the wall as they can be quite heavy, it can also be hard to align the small brackets and get the rad straight. The last one i did was on a dot and dab plaster board wall, I ended up cutting 4 pieces out of the plaster board and mounting some small pieces of plywood on the brick. I then fixed the brackets to the plywood, test fitted the rad, when I was happy I put a brick screw through the bracket, wood and into the wall. Then i just filled in over the screws/brackets, it turned out perfect. I wasn't too much effort, but the reason I did it was that i wanted to get the radiator square and the brackets are often visible behind the radiator, so wanted that clean look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

As mentioned by DD, there is a huge range out there. For kitchens you can even install a 'Plinth Radiator'. I did this in my house. Built in the 1970s; and the original gun barrel metal pipe corroded so there was no radiator in the hall for decades. Then I saw this type of radiator. Has a fan on it so it gives out as much heat as a much bigger radiator. Luckily the kitchen backed onto the hot press where the central heating pipes were, so I was able to run the pipes under the units and drill into the wall. Quite a neat job (if I saw so myself!).

Advertisement