Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Milk Replacer 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Big problems with calves here this year and in particular with 1 ai bull offspring. Not going into detail as sparks have began between us and ai company.

Long story short had to crash course Tommy the vets stuff and unreal response.

We intend using it on all calves from now on instead of acidifier for a couple of weeks at least.

Calves have a shine on their coats and are eating much more crunch at an earlier age than they used to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for that. Anyone used it seems to have got a response in the calves. I’ll probably call into the vets office this morning for a chat too

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@Siamsa Sessions - we used it here for the first time last year on three suckler calves that had scours one also had pneumonia. From memory we gave them 50ml/day for five or six days. They also got replenolyte twice daily, sulphamet injection and a vit B injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Im using the precision microbes the last week, because we were getting a lot of little scours..got a dung sample tested and it's rotavirus, we hadn't cows vaccinated for that as never had any issues with scour before.. havent lost any calves or needed the vet with any either so don't know if the microbes have helped or not maybe so. About 2 days with with electrolytes and milk and calves flying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

That replenolyte is great stuff. I get a savage response to it. Doubled in price nearly this year though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

All veterinary has jumped massively, unlike fert or meal that stuff will never come back down with milk price..I looked up the price of that rotavac vaccine for next year as looks like it'll be required here..I nearly fell over crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We add 3 scoops milkshake to a bucket of milk.

Really helps the calves along with vitamins and prevents scours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Feeding this Kiernan milk replacer this year. Getting it at €2,600 per ton. Happy enough with how the calves are doing on it so far.

Would anyone more experienced on the different cmr’s care to give an opinion on whether it’s worth it or not at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭alps

Looks a fine powder and very well priced.

It doesn't give the % skim, but as long as it's hitting 35% you will be at the max benefit skim will give you.

There looks like there is some vegetable protein which is less desirable. The fibre figure of 0.1 is the giveaway to this. However it may still be small. I've a feeling french regulation forces the companies to print the fibre figure up to the next ¹/10.

It's possible to get powders at 0% fibre which would indicate 100% dairy proteins.

Might like the fat hitting 20%...bit of cover on calves for changeable weather.

Not fond of palm oil

For theprice the powder is really good, especially as skim is a far more expensive ingredient than whey, which most of these 23/18 powders contain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

When you see heat to 50-55* it’s a bad sign as protein and fat is coming from vegetable sources which isn’t easy for a calf to digest

it says it includes skim milk but must be very low

it will be ok if you heat to 55 thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Look an OK powder,maybe not ideal for calves in the 2-3 week old bracket,but alot whey based powders arnt unfortunately,as said above it would be preferable to have the fat at 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Thanks for the replies.

Calves are average 5 weeks old and seem to be doing ok on it so I think I’ll chance it on for another while. I might run them over the scales over the weekend and keep an eye on weights then to be sure.

I normally use the Shine once a day but at over €20 per bag more expensive than this one I don’t know if that can be justified either now.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭farmerphil135

Any one else feeding elvor. Been using it the last 3 years best we’ve every used and we’ve tried quite a few over the years. Also had a bad experience with shine years ago.

we’re also using precision microbes. Everything is getting it for 4 days on arrival and using it to treat any scours but have had very few cases so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭farmerphil135

Thankfully never had crypto. But had rotovirus last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭blackdog1

im using elvor and extremely happy with it. I get one with a gut protector in it.

We haven't used Elvor cmr. Post a picture of the ingredients label/feeding rate on the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Similar to Phil have been using elvor for the past 3 years. Find its a good powder and calves have done well on it.

Have the data sheet below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Used it here a few years ago for 2 season and wouldn't let a pallet in the gate again.Calves seemed to pick up every scour going on it and thrive wasn't great on it in general.Fat is too low in it and ash is too high.I switched to vitalac blue after using the elvor and it was miles ahead,use shine once a day now as the dairy farmer has the calves on it before coming here and no problems with it either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone use the MilkShake? Seen someone asking IFarm about it on todays video. Supposedly increases calf growth rate by 15% (tested by Teagasc).

We use it here. 3 scoops in a bucket of milk. Very little issues with scour or anything when using it

Anyone run into trouble with iron in milk replacers

What kind of trouble?. I think @IFarmWeFarm7615 may have had issues due to excess iron, though his vet says different

Calves had black bloody dung here. Changed to a different powder about 7 days ago and all cleared up. New powder has 50% less iron in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭ginger22

Using the Vitalac Red here. It has the microbes in it. Subtillis and Lichenformis. We are adding extra microbes ourselves and have had no scour this year. 170 calves on the ground so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

if nutritional scour is most of your problem I’d use milk shake instead. Using it here and calves are really hopping on it and very few stomach upsets

That's similar to what Adrian's issue. His vet said it was feeding the meal too soon after getting the milk, and something was ending up in the wrong stomach.

We only use milkshake with new milk never with replacer but we do a lot of funny things here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Tested positive for rota too …only slightly …didn’t panic as no calves sick and all staid drinking ….microbes seem to have done great job as no other treatments given bar feed of electrolytes middle of day …..

• Advertisement

Can't be the meal as we have it offered here all the time and they cleated up since

Advertisement