Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so hard to get a handyman / tradesman?

Options
  • 03-01-2023 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

We live in a small town, and we try to give any jobs to locals. Carpentry, plumbing, etc.

However most of the times, either they are unreliable, expensive or they don't even bother to reply.

I have been looking for a RGI to replace our gas hobs, with new ones. Out of 5 that were refered from others (we have a group in Fb), only one bothered to reply, I asked what needs to be done, and he then disappeared.

My next step was to lookup few from the RGI page in our county, contact them and get a quote. Again, I sent 6 messages, 4 read them (I had enabled read receipt) and only one bothered to reply, but he wasn't interested.

Am I doing something wrong, or people just have lots of money so they don't want jobs? I had the impression that we are going to a recession...

Post edited by Wizard! on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Too busy with bigger projects, I went through 15 RECIs over 6 months to have a car charger installed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Most tradesmen would be insulted to be called a handyman.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

After sending emails to 15 RGIs that I found from rgii.ie, one replied that they are not interested, one gave me a quote of 170 euros, and the another one a quote of 612 euros.

I think I will go with the later one...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Do we have any equivalent of checkatrade.com or trustatrader.com in Ireland? Badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Edit ... remove noise

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Advertisement