Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hueston-Glasnevin Cemetery-The Helix

Options
  • 03-01-2023 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some guidance

I've been to Dublin many times but on Saturday I'll be going to an event in the Helix for the first time and hoping to visit Glasnevin Cemetery (been there years ago)

My train arrives into Hueston Station around 13.20pm and would I be cutting it fine too make the 14.30pm tour of the Cemetery when I take into account getting there from Hueston ??

I can't imagine there been much around the Glasnevin area in terms of pubs/Food etc other then 'Gravediggers'

How's access back to the city from the Helix after events ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

Hi there,

You'll make it no problem by taxi, but public transport is also a possibility- do you have a Leap Card for easy access to public transport to "tap on" to the bus?

You can get a Luas to O'Connell street (tap on, and off) , then I would be tempted to get one of the following buses that go past the cemetery- 40,40D, 140 are all fairly regular. The total journey will cost you €2 with a Leap Card.

For food, there's the Gravediggers as you say, but also the Bernard Shaw and Hedigans for some grub. Both are not too far a walk if you leave the cemetery leaving via the Gravediggers gate. I'd be tempted to walk down to Shouk on the Drumcondra road (a further 10 minutes walk away- and you'll probably need to book this place), which is a very popular middle-eastern spot. You can get a bus up the Drumcondra road to DCU pretty easy from here (or take a taxi, if you can grab one!)

Access back to the city is easy from the Helix by bus- either from the Ballymun road exit of the campus, or by a bus stop right outside the Helix, although the buses aren't that regular- you can check the realtime departures. There's not much around DCU food wise- there's the Autobahn pub about 10 minute walk away that does food. Back into town gives you more options.

The tour in Glasnevin is really enjoyable by the way- hope you have a good time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There is food available in Glasnevin cemetery visitor centre and also in the adjoining botanic gardens (the better of the two).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

That cafe in Glasnevin closed down before Christmas. They are seeking a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thanks for the advice guys

Delighted too find out they have an Audio self guided tour of the Cemetery for €10 and that would give me more time to get food in town before heading out

Will Gravediggers be crazy busy or is one of those 'places are actually bigger than they look'

Advertisement