Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card HC*HC CHARGE fraudulent transaction, wider issue?

• 04-01-2023 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

AIB texted me to say that a suspicious transaction had been made by the above company on my AIB CC. Googling it it does indeed seem to be a scam that started in the US and is now affecting other countries. I tried calling AIB as instructed but was on hold for 15 minutes before I hung up, which I must say I never experienced before so I am wondering, is this a larger data breach affecting many AIB CC holders? Anyone else affected? I'll try again later but for now my AIB card is blocked. Fair play to them for preventing the fraud but it would be nice to get through to them to (presumably) order a new one as this one has been compromised obviously.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I also just received a txt from An Post Money Credit Card to contact them. Apparently mass breach on MasterCards and my card was one of the numbers. There was 2 'HC Charge' tried to a German address on 02 Jan. Card was blocked and they are issuing new card today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Not just MC. My card is a Visa. Apparently the IT reports that AIB had technical issues with their phones today. I wonder is that because loads of people were trying to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Nothing to do with AIB itself. I don't know how on earth the OP can come to such a question when they themselves state that it started in the US. AIB don't operate in the US.

Card details have been obtained somewhere - these cards are issued by hundreds of different banks and in dozens of countries. The issuing bank / type of card makes no difference whatsoever.

A couple of years ago it was a chinese takeaway in Canada that appeared on thousands of cards. Next year it could be a local sweet shop in a local village whose name gets hijacked.

Its just another financial scam and banks thankfully catch on to thee very quickly and reverse the charges. Where the scam works is that the bank takes 24 hours to find it out and a large amount of money has been moved before it gets stopped. If this include an overnight period, the money cold be in the scammers account and they would then withdraw immediately and probably buy bitcoin.

But it not any fault of an issuing bank - if anything you should be happy that they are so proactive protecting you rather than see how you can find blame with them

btw, its not a charge in Germany - its Delaware USA. State Abbrv = DE

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭JOL1

I got the same texts today from my Bank and I assumed the texts were the usual type of fraud texts and I ignored. Then I tried to use my credit card and it was declined. Appears as though AIB blocked the card. It’s hard to know these days whether they are are real or scams. In this case I think it was real and my cynical nature assumed the opposite.

Nowhere in my post did I blame AIB for anything??? You've misinterpreted what I've written.

• Advertisement

What? I think I see your confusion. "Data breach affecting AIB customers" does not mean "data breach by AIB". In fact I suspected a 3rd party payment provider. If anything I praised AIB for the fraud detection. The only (minor) criticism I had was that it took 1.5 hrs on hold to speak to someone. The long on-hold time is why I was wondering if other AIB customers were affected (and it seems the may well have been, among others). Comprehension skills seem to be an optional extra these days :-(

No, it was this specifically. "is this a larger data breach affecting many AIB CC holders?" Writing skills seem to be an optional extra these days :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

4 fraudulent incidences on my AIB card in last 24 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Advertisement

Done. Just a pain coz won’t have new card until sometime next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are these all on credit or debit cards or both?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Mod warning: The speculation and the sniping stops now. Nobody on this thread has any idea how, where, why or when a breach occurred, if indeed any breach happened at all.

Debit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,162 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they showing as contactless point of sale transactions or online transactions, would be interesting to know what details have been compromised or the method used.

Told they were online. Bank blocked card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

This issue just like the Chinese takeaway charge about 2 years ago, is a WORLDWIDE issue.

It affects visa AND MasterCard holders of dozens (possibly hundreds) of issuing banks.

It's most likely from lists available online that are from various data breaches over a period. It would be absolutely impossible to find the actual source.

Advertisement