Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Lease decryption help

Options
  • 04-01-2023 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello there,

For context, I have a standard lease for a top floor apartment (6 apartments, 2 per floor), I have owned the property since 2006 and still living there.

My question is about attic space. I'll be asking the management company further, but just want to start my query here as having a hard time understanding the language of the lease.

There is no access point to the attic space in the apartment nor in the shared areas, but there is confirmed space up there. Can we install an access point within our apartment to make use of the attic space? Or go wild and change to a vaulted ceiling?!

The first schedule states:

ALL THAT the Apartment known or intended to be known as [address] being part of the premises comprised in dealing number xxxx of the Register County Dublin on the Estate including the surfaces of the floors and ceilings of the apartment together with any attic space therein (if any) BUT excluding the roof and the external walls of the Apartment (other than the windows and the glass therein and the interior faces of the external walls) all structural parts of the structural walls within the Apartment the pre-cast slabs to which the floors and ceilings of the Apartment are attached and in the case of a ground floor Apartment the ground under the Apartment

Should I be looking at a different schedule

Thank you for any insights!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭dennyk

Checking with your management company or OMC directors might be the best way to find out what's actually up there and whether it's part of your unit or considered part of the building's common areas. You could also ask your neighbours if any of them have access to the space above their units; they might be able to tell you whether it's divided up between units or just a big open void, and how they arranged to put in their own access.

Advertisement