Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strong flour Kerry

• 04-01-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a source?

Odlums is all that's available but it only comes in one very expensive size, although it is very good, I have bought better far cheaper.

I do not want large quantities, but can cope with up to 16kg of white strong wheat flour.

I prefer to collect from Tralee or possibly Limerick or even Cork.

I used to buy from Aldi and Lidl, but they now only have plain or self raising. Oddly enough they both carry stocks of bakers yeast which seem to be moving off the shelves anyway. Is there something I'm missing, I have looked for wheat gluten but to no avail, so what the yeast is used on is a mystery?

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can get Odlums strong white and wholemeal flour here in Dublin/Wicklow in various supermarkets in 2kg bags fairly easily. Tesco have the white one fairly regularly. I also used to get the 1.5kg bags of strong flour in Aldi, but haven't seen it there in ages, and the staff there including the managers have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about it.

As for gluten, back during the first lockdowns when strong bread flour and yeast were as scarce as hens' teeth, I bought a load of organic bread flour from a miller in rural Wicklow somewhere, but the gluten content wasn't anywhere near high enough, so bought some gluten to add to it ... long story short, it didn't work at all. I can't remember where I bought it either, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Have you tried asking a local bakery or Pizza place?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thank you, I didn't get into town today, but I have to stock up on pellets for the quackers tomorrow!

I didn't notice the warehouse but trips to Monavalley have never been for food.

If you have a list I would be very appreciative thanks.

Are email addresses allowed here, I couldn't find the forum rules referred to in the introduction, but the email is nearyh@mail.com

Many thanks for the interest and reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't think there is a website, it's basically a warehouse, it's just a few buildings away from Screwfix, you're looking for a big shed rather than anything that resembles a supermarket! Flours are on the last aisle so when you walk in the second door on the right if you walk straight for the wall facing you then turn left they will be just there on your left.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mercury+Cash%26Carry+Tralee/@52.2823559,-9.7079181,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4845356792eedcc7:0xdd4f987b19b56d1!8m2!3d52.281579!4d-9.7059211

As for prices I cannot figure out their pricing system! There is a price and then a discount price, I don't know how it works but it's inexpensive anyway. I buy fresh yeast there too, cold cabinet on back wall, great value too.

Answers

Thank you.

Yes I can find Odlums no trouble at all, but I do try to watch my spending. It is good flour, but nothing really stands out that justifies the increase in what I used to pay when there was a lot more choice. That even takes inflation into account incidentally.

Thanks for the information on gluten, I was going to use Amazon as a last resort for gluten along with Aldi or Lidl plain flour, but thanks to your help I will discount this "solution".

I do not use Tesco for anything. My experience in the UK was not good and it certainly wasn't developed in an instant with one store either.

Tesco Ireland might be a whole lot different, but I will not take the chance of finding out if they have integrity. The name say's everything as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At one stage during the lockdowns I found some passable strong bread flour in one of the local Polish shops. For strong flour you're looking for a protein content of 12-14g/100g or more on the nutritional information panel on the package, Odlums is 12.1. I managed to figure out what it was in Polish using google translate :)

Thank you!

I didn't actually consider this, I used to use a local Polish shop in the UK, but not for flour as there was a lot of choice anyway.

I'm calling into town shortly and will look around for one.

Incidentally I always assumed that protein was the key to strong flour, but there is a wholesale supplier offering a low protein flour for French stick making, I didn't look into it but the description said that protein was not the only thing required to produce good bread. I tend to wonder, but it's an avenue to follow I suppose.

As an aside, plain flour is reputed to be fine for sourdough using the stretch and fold technique. I have not found that to be the case, although it does give plenty of rise with no additives, it still comes nowhere near a high protein strong flour.

Many thanks for the pointer!

If you are shopping in Tralee there is a big Polish/Eastern European supermarket/warehouse in Monavalley, Mercury it's called. Big selection of flours, small bags but not as expensive as Odlums, the pics on the bags give a clue as to purpose but I have a list somewhere of what each type is if you want it.

Has the place a web address incidentally? I tried to find it, but lo and behold Polish and Monavalley brought up Screwfix.

Now that's a wonderful bit of news!

I do love to support local suppliers, and have terrific service, but having spent my life in the UK where I just look up prices on the web or call in and see everything tagged with the price, this business of waiting at counters just to get a price or the neighbors "just mention my name" bit goes through me.

Having a Screwfix on the doorstep will change my life totally!

The sheer luxury of knowing the cost of things without wating on the phone, or having the price increase between asking the cost and finding a debit card.

I am eternally grateful, I would have coninued using Limerick if I hadn't typed in those two words as a search.

• Advertisement

Many thanks!

The yeast is good news too, I do have plenty of packs of yeast and a few sourdough strains, but from my experience of beer in my local English Polish shop, they have an edge when it comes to fermentation.

I'll give it a go.

Many thanks for you time and help.

Advertisement