Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room thermostat for an older person, considering Drayton Digistat

• 04-01-2023 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was looking for some advice regarding the Drayton Digistat, for use by an elderly relative. Currently the thermostat is in the hall and the main living room is getting too warm (even with TRVs etc). Also they have no feedback on how warm the room actually is. So i've been looking at some wireless stats that would be easy to use.

There are two products from Drayton which would probably fit the bill for roughly in around the same cost. This person does not use a time clock, they literally switch the timer to continuous for the day. So would mainly be using it in manual mode. I'm looking to get rid of the time clock in the hall and replace it with the wireless receiver.

The more complex product, is actually quite nice and has a time clock built in. It also has boost function. But I don't know how difficult it is to get this into manual always on mode, i think they would need to go into a menu.

Drayton Digistat 1-Channel Wireless Universal Thermostat with Optional App Control | Wireless Thermostats | Screwfix.ie

The simpler room stat product, has no timer build in, but has a nice set back feature on the centre button, when pressed it will go to a lower programmable temperature (which could be configured for 5 degrees) which would turn the heating off. So this would be much simpler.

Drayton Digistat 1-Channel Wireless +RF Room Thermostat | Wired Thermostats | Screwfix.com

The last option would require a bit of work, to take up some floor boards, but it would mean i could move the existing stat into the main living space. This would probably be easier for the user and could be replaced in the future with something more advanced if needed in the future. More work, but possibly better in the long run.

Does anyone have any other ideas regarding heating controls for the non tech savy older person.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

I would certainly move the thermostat from the 'Hall' to the main living room. Why control the temperature in the hall when you are not living there?.

You can just decommission the hall thermostat and install the wireless thermostat. This is what I did when I built an extension in my house. I just installed the main box next to the boiler and the transmitter in the living room. Only downside is that you have to replace the battery (lasts several months though). But if the battery dies then so does the thermostat, and there is a bit of 'mulicking' to reprogram it (I would say beyond the capability of your typical 'elderly person'). So check the instructions of any wireless device before you pull the trigger.

Also, if you have a TRV in the room with the thermostat then remove the head so that it is constantly fully open. Can't have 2 separate devices trying to control the temperature (TRV and thermostat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for that. Yes I just set the TRV to be fully on in that room.

I found a wireless product that looks like it will fit the bill nicely. It will just replace the timeclock in the hall, which is basically used as a switch anyway. This has a Manual-Auto switch on the receiver, that when set to manual will turn off the heating.

Will try get one tomorrow and fit it.

Advertisement