Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing car policy

Options
  • 05-01-2023 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Im looking for the best way out of this situation. I have a full car + motorcycle license 10+ years. I had my own car policy but let it lapse as I was commuting on a motorcycle over 5 years now. Im currently a named driver on my OH car policy. I just tried to do a insurance quote with 123. but they were unable to give me a quote online. Am I dreaming by looking to insure a Honda Accord/ civic 2L diesel worth 5-6K. Im in my 40's with no previous claims. Is a work around for my wife to own the second car and I just continue as a named driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your wife currently drives a smaller (than two litres) car, it might be an idea to 'swap' - you 'buy' her car from her by transferring it into your name and insure it in your name. It won't cost much to add her as a named driver, you might even get a discount for having her on the policy. She buys the Honda, insures it in her name and puts you down as a named driver.

Even if they allowed your wife to insure two cars and have you down as a named driver, she wouldn't get any no-claims discount (NCD) on the second car, she would have to start from scratch so you might as well start a policy in your name and build up a NCD in your own right. While she has a bigger NCD than you, it makes sense for her to own and insure the bigger car.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Excellent suggestion coyle. Yes it's a 1.6 people carrier. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No need for spouses to "sell" cars to each other, married people have an insurable interest in their spouses car so can insure it. For married people with only 1 car it's a good idea to change the main policy holder annually, that way both build an NCD.

OP you need to see if any companies will give you a discount for named driver experience. Go online and try as many companies as you can find, calling them gives the same results as online as the call centre people have similar access to you on the internet. A few years ago I tried every broker and company I could find for online quotes for my big engined petrol car and none of the companies that said we can't quote online request a call back quoted me when they called back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks Del, Im a few months off buying so I have time to look around

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No need for spouses to "sell" cars to each other, married people have an insurable interest in their spouses car so can insure it. For married people with only 1 car it's a good idea to change the main policy holder annually, that way both build an NCD.

My point was that it's unlikely that any insurance company will allow the wife to insure both cars and have the husband as a named driver. Because she can't claim to be the main driver on two cars. So it would make sense for her to insure the 2L Honda if that will be the bigger car and let the husband insure her current car.

I take your point about him already having an insurable interest in any car that is registered in her name but to avoid any complications after the event and for the price of a stamp, I'd suggest that it might be a good idea if he became the registered owner of the car that he will insure in his name.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Advertisement
Advertisement