Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER & Heating Systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Raymond J

BER and heating systems.

I've bought a 100 year old cottage with a BER of G. The BER assessor would not include the double glazed window's in his assessment because they didn't have proof of purchase. IE receipt for window's and installation. I called one of the top energy and heating installation companies in Ireland to ask about installing a heat pump system with solar and battery storage. Also grants available.

I was told because of the age of the house heat pumps would not be recommended. So I asked well what would you recommend. I was told solid fuels or oil. I also called another company recommend under the scheme. They said the same. I'm so confused this isn't future proofing and surely will be replaced soon.

I'm getting triple glazing all around the house. The house has no radiators in any rooms. I've looked at underfloor heating. inferred heating.

The point of this post is I'm so confused as to what the correct heating system is to get. For every system I look at I see people saying yes and people saying stay away from this heating system.

And I certainly do not have the funds to make a mistake. The house in question is a 100 year old cottage. Stone walls with limestone plaster. No damp issues at all. 4 rooms downstairs 2 rooms upstairs. Kingspan insulation in walls and attic. A relatively small cottage in Wexford.

Any advice from someone who knows about this subject would really be appreciated. Because the experts that I'm being told to go to don't seem to know.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if you want to have underfloor heating and a heat pump system, in a 100 year old cottage, you would need to make sure you adequately insulate the floors, roofs, walls, windows etc and have very little ventilation losses (open fires etc)

there is specific markers that you need to meet in order to apply for a grant, and personally i use these same markers when i advise clients regardless if they are applying for the grant or not.

You need a BER assessment carried out by a "technical advisor" on what you plan to do in order to know if you meet the markers, or what you need to do to meet the markers. if its uneconomical to meet the markers then you should consider other heating options. in my opnion thats the correct (and only) way to begin your decisions.

if you cant measure it, then you cant improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

May I suggest breaking this conversation out into it's own thread as it's got very little to do with the BER/chimney which we were discussing. I'll flag the conversation and hope that a moderator pick it up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Advertisement