Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Delays - Advice

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Most of those people aren't in Dublin.

There's a lot more availability outside of Dublin. They need to build more centers in Dublin. This backlog has been going on almost since they started the NCT. The booking system has been overwhelmed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭M3CS

It's not as simple as that. I tried it three times and in the few seconds that it took to fill in my details the appointment was snatched by someone else. Same thing happened each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Guest193

With all this delays and backlogs they should consider moving NCT's to private garages for a while or think about this for the future, otherwise the backlogs will just grow.

I know people think if you move NCT to private garages they will pass not roadworthy cars but they may not....

they may check your car in more details... I passed my nct with huge play in suspension part which was not found during NCT test but my mechanic spotted it 30 seconds after lifting the car up, so I wonder how reliable NCT is if you talk about safety...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There are loads of fiddles in the UK system that uses private garages. On the one hand unroadworthy and stolen cars get MOTs while others claim the garages find faults to make work for themselves.

I used to use the same garage in the UK for about 5 years then I went back one year and they didn't do tests anymore. Turns out they got done for giving NCT's to stolen cars they hadn't even seen.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

fukk me, NCT due Septemper went to see about booking, WARNED about voluntary early testing, clicked ok, earliest date January 2024 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't bother with it anymore. Wait till last minute and go on the priority list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I know. I had that in November when I went to book my car in for Feb. Earliest appointment was April.

In the meantime, the engine conked in my car and I had to cancel. Have it fixed now and am getting December as the earliest date.

Yeah, priority list pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Just bought a used car. Nct up end of August. Previous owner put car on priority list for local test centre. Still waiting on a slot but we'll be away a lot from end of June until end of July, so i know the slot we get may not suit. Would previous owner have paid to put the car on priority list and if so and I book test online for 3 days in advance (at 11.30 as per above) do I lose their booking fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t think a priority list needs payment. So if you reschedule you’ll pay online, if you don’t you’ll pay when you arrive at the NCT

If the car is on the priority list will the website even allow you to make a booking? - Have you tried?

• Advertisement

I think it depends on weather a booking date has been assigned yet. In my case a date was assigned but no payment was made, so in order to reschedule I had to get the booking reference from the nct customer service and then pay online for the new booking time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

I was on the priority list for a couple of weeks and hadn't heard anything, took the advice here and checked online at 11.30pm last Wednesday night and got an appointment for Saturday. Shockingly it passed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Escapees

It's my understanding that if you do the NCT a bit late (e.g. April instead of January), the next NCT due date is when it would have originally been due (January of the following year). But what happens if you do the NCT test say 8 or 9 months late? I thought I read somewhere that the next NCT then might not be due till a year after the test, rather than in only a few months time? TIA

8 or 9 months late afaik you get 4 or 3 months NCT. You'd need to wait the full 12 months (and probably a day) to get your full 12 months again.

I think if you wait over 12 months they only give you 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Escapees

Thanks for the responses. That makes sense and is fair really. I was asking on behalf of an elderly person who didn't realize their test was overdue as they didn't receive any reminder and just thought that there was still a 6 months extension because of Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If your car was due January this year , say the 1st and you didn’t get it tested until October 5th (minimum within 90 days of January 1st) you’d get a very until January 2025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

What's the situation with being stopped on the road?

If you show your booking letter that has a date well in advance of the expiry for a test that's months later, will the Gardaí accept that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fargofan

Nct on Sunday, due July, something has come up and I wish to rebook, I go through the steps and it's giving me a march date, no option to go on standby list like last time. Do I accept and then will I be able to go back in again and go on priority list? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Just went in to book as car's NCT expires on the 19th of Sept and had a choice of dates for the first week in Sept so getting car done on the 5th. Don't know about other areas of the country but has the backlog eased off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id imagine some areas arent doing too bad but others are still probably a disaster, shur whats the rush.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fargofan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

"check the website at 23:30" is/has been and always will be the answer to about 90% of the problems faced here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Im similar went on other day and they had loads of one at ballymun for 5/6 September. Mostly in the evening. It was like the roaster was updated and had more available staff.

Id normally go to fonthill and spots are always months away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Some places must be way understaffed or their backlog is so big they are just trying to catch up the whole time. I looked at the centres in Navan, Kells and Drogheda and all had slots for the 7th, 8th and 9th of Sept if that helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭slay55

Always call. My nct was due this month (aug) was getting dates for March 2024 online

rang them 28th July and got a date for the 22nd (today) passed as well

also check online after 11pm and often can see cancellation dates on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

I was looking to get December as my Nct and Toyota warranty are up in January

Usual online, September, lucky if one in November then march, this was trying all in Dublin and then Meath/Cavan

Rang today and told I'm on waiting list for October and I won't lose any time on the cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭homingbird

I know a tester that has garage friends that he puts cars thru for them between other tests for brown envelope . Meaning they dont book just turn up with the car & he passes them so nct means nothing when buying a second hand car.

• Advertisement

Why should people have to go looking around the country for a date? You get notified your car is up for a test. You go online to book whatever your local one is and that’s not your fault they can’t provide it earlier?

As I said my Toyota warranty up in January so I don't want to do nct in March into April and end up some issues that warranty MIGHT have paid

Not bothering getting a Toyota service to get the warranty again as untold hassle with simple thing like reverse camera fogging up

That’s fine for you or anyone but I’m saying in a more general statement

Put it another way the NCT as its currently run IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Yeah I agree with you

We had the lift issues

Then you know what

Now if you go on social media you'll see the workforce seems to be making up issues etc

The hits just keep on comin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way I see it you have two choices:

1. You can just get bogged down and complain on the internet or down the pub about how it's not fit for purpose, etc.
    2. You can deal with what is in front of you, put a little effort into trying to get a test by checking regularly for available slots or ring them, then just move on with your life.

I don't work in the Government or Applus so doing number 1. won't change anything.

Doing 2 won’t change anything either unless you can explain how

Just call the NCT and you’ll be given a slot within 3 weeks, even in Dublin. Its not that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It got me my car tested.

What changes or improvements have you got by just doing no 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Have been checking recently for a slot for one of the cars - and after lunch yesterday Northpoint 1 & 2 released a weeks worth of slots all through the day for the week of the 25th Sep - Northpoint 2 still currently has slots all through the day for the 29th / 30th / 31st Sep and 1st Sep - so it seems like they're not just appearing at midnight anymore.

• Advertisement

People are required to get a test which is all fine and people go online and book their earliest possible date for their local centre that’s on offer which is fine but you log on 3 months before test is due and next date is 2 months after your due date. Why should you have to ring up or check for a date nearer to your test. You got the next available date should be enough.

Neither 1 or 2 is going to improve it but penalties for the people running it. They don’t care as they’ll still make their money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

my nct is due dec 6th. i had put mine for a waiting list. i got a text today for testing on tuesday.

it had a payment link to pay.

as the date does not suit me, i tried to reschedule but its asking for 22 euro rescheduling fee within 5 days

should i still pay the 22euro fee even though i had not picked the date for nct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Looking to get an early test and saw there were dates in August for Youghal.

Are the NCT testing there on weekends and the wee hours ????

Surely some kind of error

Yep ~Tested there last month at 0.35 of a Monday morning. Booked the test at 11:30 of the Sunday night. So NCT booked and taken in under 2 hours (arrived early and tested at about 0.20).

Failed on a tyre issue I'd not noticed so got a new one (two actually replaced both tyres on the same axel) and was back for a free retest before lunch time so I can say I booked a got an NCT in under 12 hours ;-)

Got my wifes car through there on Monday, test booked Friday night so there aren't any delays if you check online around 10:40pm. You won't always be lucky but checking for a couple of nights will get you a test within the next week.

Theres not much of backlog anymore. Most centres in Dublin showing test dates within 30 days now

Advertisement