Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromebook wifi not working

• 05-01-2023 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

Acer Chromebook 314 CB314-H this model

i left it in to get a new screen installed

old screen was badly cracked

i just used it for music,mp3, watching mp4 youtube videos.

i never use it for web browsing

i go to the library today

i try to login in to the library wifi free network

i put in password

i cant use the web or use the browser

eg youtube.com

cannot connect

i turn on my nokia 12 phone ,phone is 4 months old, bought new in eir shop, try to use the wifi same result ,no pages loading ,no internet

i try using my old sony phone on wifi network ,

it works fine i download 3 podcasts and browse the web for 15 minutes,

can anyone advise why my new phone or the chromebook cannot work on the network ,

wif i works it loads up 10 networks to use most are not open,

eg i only have a password for the free library wifi network.

also i look in settings ,device,storage management , it says storage 200meg used , free space 1.8 gig drive space.

eg i,mm using guest mode,.

i cannot log in to chromebook under my username , egceltjoe77,

according to the specs i should have at least 31gig free space left on the laptop drive .

i can only click on use Guest mode , i cant see any mp3,s ,or mp4 files .

my username is the same as before i left it into the shop 5 days ago.

i got it back last night at 6pm

i think the library uses standard wpa2k encryption

i was always able to just login in to chromebook in offline mode by clicking on username, type in password , thats it,

why is it now asking for a wifi connection just to login as user celtjoe77,

did the staff in the repair shop change the security settings so they could install a brand new screen ?

i

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i see this command you can try

hit control alt T and then type shell then type sudo nmcli radio wifi off and then to turn on type sudo nmcli radio wifi on works on all chromebooks

you would nearly get a new chromebook for the price of a screen these days

if it was windows id try a usb wifi adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i went to a friend, turned off all router passwords, i turned on my new nokia phone, wifi on ,it immediatly connected to network, eh Compcnet ,eg router no password, i did not try out the chromebook, i,ll try it out tommorow.

it seems theres a problem with Wpa2 encryption on my new phone

by the way the Nokia phone does not work in any branch of mcdonald s on free wifi network.

My old Sony phone works fine in mcdonalds or any public library on the free wifi network or any free wifi network i can find

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

most of the nokia phones are aimed at basic end and not the greatest on spec . if your looking for something cheap to browse on . have a look at facebook marketplace in your area . you might get a laptop or a chromebook thatl do a job for not a lot . if you have any questions on any of them u can ask on here look for decent specs ie nice fhd screen and decent wifi

the sony phone works fine on wifi, my new nokia phone works fine on wifi, i did,nt have time to test the chromebook ,re does it work in the new location, i think the nokia phone has 4gig ram, 32 gig storage.i bought it about 2 months ago. i tried the 2 phones this morning.

ill go back tommorow and see does the chromebook ,work on wifi.

i tried the nokia phone and the chromebook in a new location on the wifi network today, both work fine .websites load up fast, i downloaded 2 podcasts . i logged into my google account .

it connected to the network in about 10 seconds .

i,m very happy with the chromebook ,15 inch screen, i just need a laptop i can use in cafes,starbucks etc that has 10 hour battery life . i have no intention of buying a new phone or a laptop .

i would like to be able to use the chromebook in black and white mode in the chrome browser,no colour ,to extend battery life ,but i understand i would need to setup developer mode to do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement