Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Burke back at the school. Who cares.

Really just making a pure thick of himself at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree, I made the suggestion last week that we should make donations to fund bouncers at the gate for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bullied into using pronouns, you say?

Did the principal follow him around the place yelling at him that he needed to do such and such to the point they had to be physically restrained? Did the princiapl repeatedly interrupt him while performing his job in order to force him to submit to their desires? Because that's what Burke did. Meanwhile, the principal (as the person in charge) informed the staff that they were to refer to the student as the student requested, in line with equality legislation (iirc) and the standard practice at most places of work around the world. He didn't like what he was asked to do as part of the job he signed up for and threw a hissy fit. He could have gone through the proper channels or resigned if it upset him so much. None of this is to do with religious freedom; it's about behaving yourself properly in the workplace, something which Burke is seemingly incapable of doing.

Also, if there is such an unpleasant situation at the school, why aren't more teachers coming out and complaining about being 'bullied' into using pronouns? It is pure coincidence, I assume, that someone with a track record of bigotry and public protest is the only one 'brave' enough to protest this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s only one bully in this issue and it’s not on the side of the school board or management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He thinks he's a soldier in God's war against evil. So I'm guessing he hopes to get a place in heaven. Or, before that, to stick it to 'the man'.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but he worked at the school for over 4 years, so I would assume he rented locally.

Or WHS is a boarding school. Maybe they have some staff accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭csirl

Regretfully I think there are some places that would hire hiim.

I live in an area where there are number of schools controlled by the local catholic parish. The powers that be in the parish have decided that only active and very committed members of the parish should be appointed to the BoMs of the local schools.

Consequently the make-up of these BoMs is dominated by elderly catholic extremists in their 70s and 80s. Its getting worse over time due to less younger people being active in the parish.

This is starting to cause issues in some of the schools. Many of the BoM members were very active campaigning for the No side in recent votes. They have a negative attitude towards diversity.

It impacts on staffing - many good teachers leave as they dont agree with the atmosphere. In one school, a zealot of a teacher who most people thought was unsuitable was appointed Principal over better qualified candidates. Issues have started arising in the schools.

These people would be very aligned with Enoches view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It really does not "work both ways" at all.

Burke was merely asked to show a modicum of respect to the pupils he was hired by his employer to teach. A situation he was paid for from the money provided by the parents of said pupils.

And, no, there's nothing "toxic" about that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or maybe plater the school gates with pictures of Caitlyn Jenner, Elliot Page etc. Poor Enoch would have a meltdown and have to be ferried away by ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

He wants to be famous , they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A burke working with catholics? i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree he Burke went OTT and could have been much more subtle, or at least shown compromise. But his general point from his religious identity point of view - plus school ethos. Is no less valid than the the transgender person's identity viewpoint IMO. Both are wrapped up in their own sense of self, and want others to conform to their viewpoint.

But these days people most people take religion less seriously and society is more concerned with the individual rather than, the religious morality. You only have to listen to the Pope reiterating that sex outside marriage is a sin, today. Who takes that seriously nowadays? Very few people.

I assume the likes of Burke would adhere to that belief as well and statement from the Pope as well though.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread title updated

Enoch-watch day 4, value: €2,800

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

I can't imagine Burke giving too much heed to the words of the pope.

The only person bullying anyone and creating a toxic working atmosphere here, was Burke.

He is not a victim here, much as his defenders would like to paint him.

There was no lack of respect for his religious beliefs - even the High Court has said this case is nothing to do with his religious beliefs.

"He/her" are pronouns too. So the argument against "using pronouns" fails.

Once again, the Dept of Education definition of bullying:

Bullying is defined as the “unwanted negative behaviour, verbal, psychological or physical conducted by an individual or group against another person (or persons) and which is repeated over time”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,690 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Burke is screwed so. Normally the ICCL go on about a rights at the drop of a hat at the slightest thing.

Maybe the manner in which Burke has gone about his 'protest' has made the ICCL think he has crossed the line over the assertion of his own rights, and causing havoc to others who do not agree?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

I'm guessing that they just realise that there isn't any right to bully your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

he said it about the student. The whole thing revolves around him saying that he doesn't accept the student for who they are. You don't have to say something directly to someone in order for it to be bigoted/racist/phobic and by extension, bullying.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,573 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's no school in the country that can be "officially" aligned with Enochs view of the world.

And TBF even if there were, hiring this guy, at this point, would lead to massive issues down the line - you'd be a fool sign off on hiring this lad no matter whether you agreed with his standpoint on this particular topic or not.

The ICCL aren't the courts though. It's the opinion of the courts that count.

I personally don't think what he did at the school function warranted being sacked, disciplinary action, certainly. A final written warning maybe, but the acting the b0llix that he's done since he was suspended is way off the mark. You can't carry on like that.

He's screwed whether he wins or not. Even if he wins, he's unemployable now. And even if he was employed in a school, the students would rip the p1ss out of him something fierce by holding hands, pretending to blow kisses etc. until he snapped, which would eventually happen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is absolutely his own actions that have screwed him here.

Had he followed the legal process to "fight for his beliefs" then people like the ICCL would have defended his right to do so , but he's just refusing to accept the existence of any authority other than his own and that's his problem.

He could have lodged a formal complaint with the school and allowed that to work its way through the various reviews and appeals and so on. In doing so he would have had lots of defenders/supporters and whilst a likely majority would have disagreed with his position most would have been perfectly ok with him taking the case.

His actions have actually done us all a disservice as I think that having a mature public debate on the limits of "Religious exemptions" as they relate to the law of the land would have been very useful and helpful in the future.

A case going to the Supreme court on this issue would have been good for everyone, to clarify exactly how far someones personal beliefs can take them when they go against the prevailing laws of the day.

That won't happen here (no matter how hard Enoch tries) because Enoch couldn't behave like an adult.

I wouldn't say that. It's a long shot for him but stranger things have happened in courts.

He was about to be granted an injunction preventing the disciplinary hearing going ahead against him but when the Judge asked him if he was going to attend the school in breach of the other High Court injunction, Burke said he was going to attend so that's why he wasn't granted his own injunction. If he had agreed to stay away from the school, he would have gotten his injunction stopping the disciplinary meeting going ahead.

The school may not have followed procedures correctly either in the fact that a report with findings and conclusions was drawn up without Burke's view taken into account so it was possibly a flawed report, and that report may have been discussed at a board meeting where Burke wasn't present. That gives Burke a little chink of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

does he not drive?

Irrespective of the merits of the case he wont win if he goes to the WRC and behaves like his sister did. Behaving properly at a WRC hearing is not in their nature.

Agreed. If he acts the cnut he won't be successful. But if he fails at the WRC, he'll go to the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and then on a jaunt to Europe. I think that's the process anyway.

But if he learns to keep his mouth shut, he might win at the WRC. Doubtful but possible. And if he wins at the WRC he still won't be happy because they won't give him his job back and that's what he wants. Two years of wages isn't worth a damn to him. He wants to stick it to 'the school and them transgenders'. For God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All of that is moot at this stage.

The school might get a slap on the wrist for a few procedural errors , but Enoch will still be sacked and will never get that job back , not ever.

Advertisement