Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• The Burkes don’t understand the concept of debate the preferred approach to anything like that is just yell louder than the opposer.

They are not going to debate anyone because as far as their concerned if you don’t agree with them you’re wrong it’s that simple. You can’t debate someone if you’re completely unwilling to look at their side of things and try to understand it in order to argue why your POV is better but the Burkes have made it clear numerous times that they will not understand any other opinion than their own. Now of course they are capable of doing so as they’re not stupid people but they are too ignorant.

I mean you are effectively expecting the same crowd who wanted a case for unfair dismissal only to have their case dismissed at hearing when they wouldn’t stop shouting over the adjudicator. Or who went to an inquest of a person with no relation whatsoever to them only to cause such commotion over covid vaccines that the family of the young lady who died broke down in tears.

They simply cannot spare a thought for anyone else especially when they have an opinion they want heard. When you get down to brass tacks, you can’t talk to the Burkes about any opposing viewpoint because all you’ll be met with in return is incoherent shouting. Debate? It wouldn’t be a debate it would be the Burkes shouting and VinB telling them to just shut up.

Honestly it’s almost a tactic in itself just be so obtuse, obnoxious & loud that the person who is opposed to whatever you’re for is just fed up trying to speak to you and just wanders off. Then the Burke(s) in question feel like they are still right and no one can be arsed to deal with the noise.

They just shout and yell when the desired outcome isn’t achieved that they’re being discriminated or attacked because of their religious beliefs and either no one bothers to correct them and the ones that do just give up wasting the effort.

Winning a debate with a Burke is coming away from it having not tried to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

In my opinion it is impossible (no matter who you get) to debate religion with people like Burke when they hold such entrenched views.

EDIT: Magnolia Hissing Youth, looks like you beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

And what exactly does that have to do with his religious freedom? Is religious freedom an excuse to ignore and distespect certain people of society because of who they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Yup. Denial of science is pretty common with extremist religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The one thing Burke has succeeded in is taking the makey-uppey word of 'transgenderism' from the US far-right discourse and turning it into an every day word in current affairs in Ireland.

Being trans is not an 'ism'. We don't have homosexualityism or heterosexualityism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep. 100% agreed. But there are many who are non-religious who don't agree with transgenderism.

In the interests of honesty, I don't agree with transgender athletes, particularly MTF being allowed into female sports. They have an unfair advantage in such circumstances where size and strength are a key feature of the sport. The rest of it I don't give a shyte about.

Its actually quite cowardly of him to hide behind his religious beliefs. He should just own the fact that he doesn't accept transgenderism, though he's smart enough to know that won't fly.

Your quote above is what I was answering. You said he is is hiding behind his religious beliefs and doesn't own the fact that he doesn't accept transgenderism. I'm saying that statement is incorrect because he clearly does own the fact that he doesn't accept transgenderism.

Regarding your question about religious freedom being an excuse to ignore and disrespect certain people of society because of who they are........no matter what your religion is, you should have to obey the law of the land and not discriminate against any groups.

Bringing it back to Burke, it's arguable that he didn't discriminate against anyone. Hear me out. He reportedly said in his bit of a rant to the Principal, that he would never call a boy a girl etc. So that's him pretty much saying that he would discriminate against them, but he hadn't actually gotten around to discriminating against the kid (if that makes sense). Kind of like me telling someone that I wouldn't serve travellers in my shop. In that case I wouldn't have discriminated against the travellers until the moment came that I actually refused them service.

You are giving Burke far too much credit here. The word 'transgenderism' was used on Boards.ie before Burke stuck his head above the parapet. It's also in the Oxford English Dictionary. I didn't realise it was considered an offensive word by the transgender community until a few minutes ago when I looked it up. Every day is a school day eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The lad is willing to spend indefinite time in prison seemingly egged on by the family.

If you think you can debate such people, I would disagree.

It opens up questions about home schooling and indoctrination of children to extremist views. The kids have all been failed by the state in my opinion. I hope one of them breaks free one day and tells all about the upbringing and so on. I imagine it could possibly happen after the death of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you’re going to quote a book full of hate and vengeance (the Old Testament) in your arguments, and treat such a book as the word of “god”, it’s near on impossible to argue with such a person.

They will have an Old Testament quote for pretty much everything, they’ll know it off by heart because it was rammed into them as a kid, and that’s essentially the person you’re dealing with.

They are in denial of a secular world - the word of their god is all that matters to them. Funny how he doesn’t go on a mission to try and solve the inequality between rich and poor- how come it’s always something to do with sex with these people ? Catholicism Muslims is no different, they’re all out to suppress people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That took a long time to write.. I think and stand to be corrected that the mother of the family or one of the daughters maybe was debating live on Primetime TV against the Sinn Féin leader in one of the Repeal the Eighth debates. I didn't agree with her but she put up a fair case iirc. Don't be so ready to diss people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I'd say any one of them would destroy anyone RTE put up against them in debate, which it is never going to happen.

• Advertisement

Well I don't recall that she was setting the studio on fire exactly but iirc the right person, she was more than competent and able to make her points tellingly and coherently. No bible thumping fool for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought language 'evolves'.

Anyway, genderism would be a better term, because an -ism indicates a belief, and quite clearly people have different beliefs about gender whether they are transgender themselves or not.

I have experience of a transgender teen, as a close friend of them and their family, not as a teacher.

Have YOU any experience of trangender teens? Because it doesn't sound like you have.

How do you know? Well, when a teenager and their parents go to the extent of making a formal request to the Principal, as in this case - you can be pretty damn sure its not a case of some teenager who is just "desperate to mess with a teacher".

Of all the self-centred rubbish I've read written on this thread, thinking somone would declare themselves trans just to "mess with a teacher" that has to up there. Talk about making someone else's life all about you.

I'm fairly sure you're wrong about the debate. Could you be thinking of Maria Steen?

I'm torn between not wanting to give any further energy to such toxic people as the Burkes, and joy it would bring to see any half-decent journalist tear open the gaping holes in their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

have the media backed off?

There's only so many ways to report "He's still standing at the gate"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's not very interesting at this point.

Next court mention is Feb. 10th so I suppose we can expect the usual corcus for a day or two again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They are thinking of Steen. I remember the debate. The burkes don't do debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I really believe that these types of people make their arguments for only a few possible reasons.

1. Ignorance as you state. Not believing that it's possible for people to be trans. Probably believing gay people are mentally ill rather than this all being most likely based in science and having a genetic component which leads to the endocrine conditions etc.
    2. Just pure religious lunatics who genuinely believe it for whatever idiotic religious reasons.
    3. Deep seated closeted gay/trans leaning themselves. They think they would have been influenced by LGBT and so on if it was taught in their schools so they don't want it taught in those circumstances because they genuinely think that kids will turn out LGBT as a result of it rather than being born with this particular genotype. I know for myself you could never have made me gay or LGBT no matter what age I was as but they feel like they would have been influenced, because they have some leaning in that direction themselves.

• Advertisement

The other reason for making these silly arguments is that they've been hanging round on TheLiberal or Grift.ie where lots of people make these silly arguments and get away with it.

• so that’s one normal conversation to how many angry shouting matches?

Your Burke simp craic won’t fly with me mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Fotish

I dunno about that.

If somebody comes in to class tomorrow and identifies as a cat and wants to be called ‘pussy ‘ am I compelled to pretend that I think it’s fine even though I might think the whole think is ridiculous?

You’re right. It is ridiculous.

It is a ridiculous myth propagated by far right activists as part of their anti trans agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

tis v v sad - for the whole family - I feel sorry for them.. tis like a life sentence they are living - i wonder how it all started with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,761 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Enock must have some plan to escalate his programme of resistance. I'd say he'll move to the next stage soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Fotish

Advertisement