Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is no reason why any country should be embarrassed by the presence of outliers with different beliefs in their society.

However embarrassment may arise if the country fails to deal with them in a fair and equitable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

But you did say;

"Of course he is an embarrassment to this country.

The same way plenty of Americans are embarrassed by Trump."

"embarrassment to this country."

implies it is international news, it is not.

I never said or implied anything about the news.

I did say he is an embarrassment to this country. Especially when he claims to speak for the people of this country. That is my opinion, if you have a different one, fair enough. You're entitled to that.

But seeing as you bring up the news, this case has been reported on internationally. Usually incorrectly framed as "Irish teacher imprisoned for refusing to use pronouns" rather than what he was actually imprisoned for, his behaviour.

Nothing about this debacle reflects well on Ireland. And its all thanks to Enoch. But feel free to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you are overstating the coverage of this outside Ireland, and that people think he is indicative of what this country thinks about gender issues.

The only person embarrassing himself is Burke, normally it would be an embarrassment to the parents, obviously that is not the case here. Beyond that, you would have to be pretty insecure to think anyone outside Ireland, and the vast majority inside, see this as anything more than an outlier making a fool of himself, certainly it is not an embarrassment to the country. If anything, it shows that we do provide due process, even if we do not agree with the persons viewpoint.

The truly insecure people on this thread, are those who have tried everything they can to understate Enoch's actions, from day 1.

They like to pop into the thread every now and again, state how they "haven't really been following it" then throw in a few passive aggressive jibes at those who have maintained a consistent interest in following the case from the start.

Most typically they are those who share his views on transgender people, and would support him in discriminating against them if it were allowed, but don't want to say it outright.

We all know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are deflecting, that has nothing to do with your assertion that Burke is an embarrassment to the country.

I asserted my opinion that Enoch is an embarrassment to the country, which I believe he is.

You asserted yours, with a few attempts at put-downs thrown in for good measure, in the way you're known to do, as that's your style.

So, as I said earlier, thank you for your input.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, so you can move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't think Enoch is an embarrassment to the country at all. I don't even agree with the comments that he's an embarrassment to Mayo. He and his family just happen to be Mayo people but it's no reflection on the county. While there are undoubtedly people who agree with his initial stance on transgenderism, there aren't as many who think he has handled this well. For most people, he has turned into a ridiculous figure of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Could make the point that Burke is a former teacher, Trump is an unemployed President...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Personally I don't find Burke embarrassing. What's embarrassing about someone standing up for their beliefs? Literally standing up every day outside the gate.

He's paid a heavy penalty but at least you may admire him for holding to the courage of his convictions.

I doubt if many, any even of his detractors here who throw cheap jibes about, would have the same strength.

Including you, who speak from the comfortable position of a public/ civil service job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"What's embarrassing about someone standing up for their beliefs?"

Daddy driving 2 hours to drop him to school so he can stand outside the gates like a f*cking gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Understate Burke's actions. 😂 You'd think he was a mass murderer the way you are going on.

He raised his voice and was obnoxious at a school function.

He didn't obey his suspension.

He didn't obey a High Court Injunction.

He shouted at a judge.

Not the actions of a master criminal. Rather the actions of a spoilt child. So yeah, nothing wrong with understating Burke's actions because they aren't the worst. Some lad punching an auld wan in the face and taking her handbag is 100 times worse.

Burke is a twat, nothing more, nothing less. A twat who will see the inside of a jail cell sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

He's not a public representative so he's not an embarrassment to the country. Some may be embarrassed for him, but he's merely a laughing stock to most that are remotely interested in this pantomime.

He's basically a nobody who has, with the encouragement of his family, totally lost the run of himself, & refuses to accept why he was binned.

I have to say that for someone who is anti transgenderism has likely raised people's awareness of the topic, so his bigoted views have backfired big time.

For all we know this could even be a cry for help, a way to escape his sheltered family life so he can be free of the clan & religion so as he/they can explore his/their true life as an alternative gender or unexplored sexual preference. Why else would he be bringing transgenderism in to the work dismissal situation?

As Queen Gertrude said in Hamlet ''The lady doth protest too much, methinks''

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Why would anyone admire someone that thinks shouting at people is the way to get their way? He isn't standing up for his beliefs. He is ignoring a court order to hang out outside a school that sacked him. He is trying to pretend like he wasn't fired so his ego doesn't have to deal with it. He is pathetic.

He had the opportunity to stand up for his convictions. He decided that he'd rather act like a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Quandary

At this stage it’s just pitiful really. I feel sorry for him. He’s basically a sacrificial lamb sent out to die by his cult leader. The lad has been brainwashed since he came into the world and unless he has the fortitude to break free of that cult then he’s doomed to a life of ridicule, social exclusion and loneliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Tork

This has been pointed out repeatedly to Furze. So either they have difficulty comprehending it, or they're being deliberately obtuse.

True. But I figure if he feels the need to keep saying it I may as well keep responding. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can admire him all you want, I don't have to admire anything about the man.

My job has nothing to do with Enoch Burke. But you can rest assured, if I discriminated against a trans person in my official role, or if I acted towards my manager in the same way he did, there would be serious consequences.

But then, it wouldn't happen, because I wouldn't discriminate against or disrespect transgender people, in the first place.

Yes, it must all seem like "some guy just being a twat" to anyone who identifies as non-binary or transgender. Very funny. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The 'some guy just being a twat' is not about his views on transgender, more to do with his inability to communicate in a civilised way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

It's the dehumanisation of transgender people that I hate in Enoch Burke. Using God's name to justify his uncontrollable hatred of human beings who are transgendering where God's child - jesus - taught us " love your neighbour as you would yourself" .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So you think abusing your manager and. failing to comply with the laws are principles....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"love your neighbour as you would yourself"

A lot of this can be solved by Burke finding a quite room and loving himself a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come now, it's kinda tiresome at this stage. We all understand surely by now that the root of Burke's actions (yada..yada..) lie in his religiously principled objection to the school policy he was asked to follow. All subsequent actions & events flow from that.

We don't have to agree with Burke's religious principles, we may be completely opposed to them. But we must acknowledge that he has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You're right. He does have principles. Absolutely terrible principles. Principles he is willing to act like a complete arsehole to defend. I'm not seeing much to praise there.

He had a religious objection to something his job required him to do. But instead of going through the formal process designed for such situations, he decided instead to try and bully his boss. THAT is what he was fired for. His "principles" had nothing to do with why he got fired.

If he had decided to take his objection through the formal process, then I might have some respect for him. But he didn't. He decided that the rules don't apply to him, and has continued to double down on that position every step of the way.

Yes, he has religious principles. I'm sure he also has a favourite sandwich too. Neither of them have anything to do with why he was fired. And neither of them have anything to do with why he continues to violate the court order against him. He's a bully that thinks the rules are for other people. You might find that something to admire. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

But he never did real jail time and he never will. When he was sent to Mountjoy he spent all of his time in the Progression unit which is a very cushy number. Don't particularly wish he didn't. Just making a point. I think it's all daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So you support his actions then. Good luck when you end up in Mountjoy for abusing your manager and breaking numerous court orders.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Among the Boards of Directors:

• Bishop Tom Deenihan
    • Fr Paul Connell
    • Monsignor Cathal Geraghty
    • Sister Marie Jones
    • Monsignor Dan O'Connor
    • Father Paul Walsh

I don't know about you, but I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that they are against the proposal. I never would have seen this coming

Oh wait, no, actually, this is par for the course with the Catholic Church where the likes of divorce, homosexuality etc are looked down upon, but priests having their way with young boys under their care and nuns throwing babies into septic tanks are A-OK

It all makes sense now

Advertisement