Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

The topic is Enoch Burke, not transgenderism

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Would Enoch not be a prime candidate for swift daily kick in the balls from students or teachers? Back in my school days he wouldn't have made it to elevenses without a seperated scrotum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Comrade Coppinger is crying about him over on Twitter

Anything that annoys the commies makes my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Personally, I did have a nagging feeling that we hadn’t heard from enough former Wexford hurlers on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's he still on the payroll? I remember there was a bit of confusion over that a few weeks back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

What a waste of time, he must literally have nothing else going on in his life. To see someone self-sabotage to this extent, I almost feel sorry for him. But he's an obnoxious prick so I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Imagine the conversation in the car goin and coming home. How was your day Enoch? Same old same old father.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dermo498

He won Teacher with least absences 2022/23

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Eamon Coughlan was well able to give Enoch a good beating way back when...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yep, he is still on the payroll until the outcome of the Disciplinary Appeal Panel.

Justice Dignam, get your finger out!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is sad to see someone so young get caught up in such a treadmill. Despite his start in life, you’d think that college would have knocked the edges of him and he’d have come out a more rounded person. Somehow I don’t think he was cut out for teaching and I don’t think he has the smarts to turn it around. Wonder if he ever considered becoming an actuary or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Why is it so important that we ungender our language in its entirety? What is the aim here and do you really think the desired outcome/aim will be achieved?

What's wrong with the status quo with the addition of gender neutral terms/descriptors etc?

...Do you think the general populace/world outside of school will start ungendering their language as time goes by and words like boys/girls/mum/dad will cease to exist even though boys/girls/mums and dads wont?

I guess that's why I think its silly, not onerous, just silly. It's not going to gain any ground for trans people to focus on language like this imo....it will just serve as a minor irritant....if a boy or a girl exists in the future then there will be a gendered word used as a label for said boy or girl

Imo, It's the height of idiocy to ungender language in a school setting unless you think there won't be any such thing as gender at all in some future human society?? You don't think that do you?

Are there not much more sensible battles to be fought that would improve outcomes? I personally don't know if there are but it would strike me that this one doesn't even come up to the level of a storm in a teacup.

And yes, if an individual is getting upset that a teacher/coach/entertainer etc etc uses well worn phrases such as boys and girls, lads and ladies, ladies and gentlemen then that's a fragility that's a problem for that person imo....its going to happen in the wider world at some stage imo...

Post edited by amacca on

A bit off topic, but you shouldn't have more respect for flat earthers imo.

There is zero merit to any argument that the Earth is flat....

They don't have an argument.....

they have a load of easily disproven spurious nonsense. As evidenced by how quickly they get angry or stop replying when incontrovertible proof/evidence of the world not being flat is pointed out to that odd subset of people....

I personally find it tiring and not very rewarding to engage with flat earthers but there are some very entertaining exchanges between rational people with a scientific/logical background and said subset of humans out there..

Anyway, I digress I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To be fair to Enoch Burke by all accounts he is actually a decent teacher and appeared to be well liked as things go.

The issue it seems for him and his family in general is that they find it very difficult when things don't go their way. His sister is another example of this. I don't being an actuary or any other job would change things long term. It's social skills he lacks which are required in any job.

That's the core issue here the school managment made a decision he disagreed with and he lost the plot. It doesn't matter what job you are in your boss/company/customers/suppliers etc are going to make decisions you disagree with. There is a mature adult way of dealing with this situation and then there is the Burkes way. The sad fact is that he has sabotaged his own case never mind wasted a year and made future employment in any job a lot more difficult.

I did not say there was a student identifying as a cat.

The story in Rye College was that a student ridiculed the notion of identifying as a cat and the teacher admonished her for it. It was part of a wider conversation about identities. It was apparent that the teacher supported identifying as a cat, and that they would play along if that scenario arose. And that anyone who didn't is a despicable bigot who should "find another school".

That story is genuine in so far as the leaked recording was real. It was not fabricated. This is the kind of nonsense that teachers are talking about in school. Nonsense begets nonsense.

Why is it so important that we ungender our language in its entirety?

Only, no one has suggested that. No one has suggested banning the use of all gendered words.

What is being put forward, is that there should be an awareness that one size does not fit all, and to factor this in when having conversations in classrooms. Something most teachers with any kind of awareness already do, without having to be prompted or instructed to do it.

It's only the likes of Enoch Burke who need instructions.

Hmmm..if a document suggests we avoid gendered language....then that means ungender your language imo...it means when you deal with a group cut out the use of boys and girls and replace ....even though there are boys and girls in said group...am I incorrect? You are speaking in general terms about awareness but in practice the document suggests don't use boys and girls by my reading...is that correct?

If that isn't what is being suggested by the document, what is being suggested?

A suggestion is not the same as a ban.

You're arguing about something that isn't there.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

.deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but what merit do the catboxers have...?

At least the flat-earthers aren't trying to demonise people

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I don't remember being as extreme as suggesting it was a ban?

I do think its a silly suggestion however.

Are catboxers people that believe students are going around pretending to be cats and the clickbait stories are true?

If so then I wasn't suggesting they had any merit either merely that flat earthers don't deserve any more respect...

I do think its possible a student or two might be inspired by the stories to pretend they identified as a cat for a laugh (after all people willingly poured buckets of sand/gravel over themselves and recorded it for others to see ...along with other moronic "challenges") ...but that is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Catboxers are people who believe that schools are permitting it and in some cases allowing them.to.use litter trays.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Welllll let’s calm down a second and remind ourselves that the church does not intend to teach that you are literally eating the flesh of Jesus Christ nor drinking his actual blood.

I do believe it is metaphorical. No fan of religion or teaching it to kids but the reasons being are purely because I think indoctrination of children into believing without question that a magic man lives in the clouds and judges us when we’re bad is crazy.

A complete aside but I’ve heard parents discussing when the “right time” to spill the beans on Santa is and I’ve always thought it hilarious that Santa Claus has to be dispelled as a myth by a certain age but you’re as free as a bird to believe in a different magic man in the sky. Maybe cos “God” has better presents I don’t know.

Anyway, per your point, it’s metaphorical but I still don’t disagree with your overall sentiment that it’s silly to think one ideology is okay to teach (especially such a gruesome one) whereas an ideology of inclusion for all is horrific. Boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Under the Catholic Church doctrine of transubstantiation, the bread and wine are changed in substance into the actual body and blood of Christ. It is, by definition, a cannibalistic ritual that many seven year olds are introduced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 IlovemybrickFC

You're equating Mass with cannibalism ? That is so offensive it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,638 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is ok to admit you dont understand the catholic mass. most catholics dont.

• Advertisement

Just when you thought the thread couldn't get any weirder....!

Advertisement