Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Did he show up today? The whole thing is a farce. Why haven't the Gardaí removed a man who has no right to be there from the school. Don't understand that at all???

At some stage he has to realise that he has thrown away a good career for a ridiculous argument that has nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Karppi

Crazy stuff. Would you allow someone to stand in your hallway if you didn't want them in the house, whether there was a court order or not? I suspect you'd get them the f*ck out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Action has to be taken, otherwise this sends out a message that any oddball can enter and loiter on school premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

You can guarantee that the library picket crowd are thinking the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's the sad part - He was by all accounts a decent teacher that was generally liked by the pupils, until he decided to ride this particular train.

Just as his sister was viewed as a very good employee before she too jumped on the crazy train.

If you include the other brother Simeon , that's 3 highly intelligent people with advanced degrees that have made themselves functionally unemployable anywhere in this country because they are simply incapable of anything approaching compromise or even just normal professional behaviour.

What a waste.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Simeon is the youngest? Real armchair psychologist stuff now but as the last one was leaving the nest, Mammy and Daddy manipulated them to escalate their protests in order to keep them in the family circle/under their control.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What I mean is why didnt he stay inside last year? he will end up in a classroom next, I can imagine it, his replacement taking to the class while Enoch talks over him, 2 teaching at the same time. 😂

To be honest I understand the schools reluctance to do anything at the moment. The last time they did it delayed everything while he was stuck in a cell.

The smarter long term option is to hold the course, go through all the steps required until he no longer has opportunities for delay of any action.

At that point then, he can be turfed into a cell on a daily basis and it won't have any impact on anything else.

Right now he's looking to get thrown in jail as he can play it off as being persecuted and it drags everything out and garners more publicity.

That becomes difficult to do the more stages this goes through. As an example, one of the last steps will be a "fit to teach" hearing by the teaching council. He'll get ruled unfit at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think Josiah may be younger than Simeon. Also, there is another daughter who may be younger, Keren.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I hadn’t put any money on my idea ! 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there one particular place in the school's corridor Burke hangs out in? Maybe the school can just get a little construction tent, some cones and simply block the malcontent off from everyone's sight. Danger, do not cross, risk of zealotry. Every day he comes back then just get the janitorial staff to do the same and block him off. Lovely and passive.

And presumably the man has to píss (being a wing-nut he does so reluctantly, given its probably a sin and perversion), right? So someone blocks access to him, stops him entering the toilets. Sorry staff only. Unless there are still colleagues sympathetic enough, which is entirely possible. Basically make Burke's life there as undignified as possible til he fúcks off and stops being a disruption to the kids he should be thinking about, not his martyrdom.

I get why the school might be reluctant to take more aggressive action. It took 4 Gardai to literally lift and carry family members out of a court of law - who on the school's management team would have the time or nerve to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Fair play to him, fighting for what he believes in even if no-one else does. One has to admire that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Tork

I have no problem with him fighting for what he believes in. What I have a problem with is the way he and his family have behaved. Would you be so sanguine about it if you ran a business and sacked an employee, only for them to turn up every single day afterwards? They could claim they don't believe you've actually sacked them. Or what if a teacher in your kids' school was sacked for hitting a child or abusing them, only for them to keep showing up because they think it's OK to hit kids or abuse them?

If Burke had even an ounce of common sense in his body, he could have taken a more sensible route with his protest. Instead, we see him ruining his own life and making a mockery of our justice system. There is nothing to applaud in either of these.

Post edited by Tork on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The courage of ones convictions does not justify your disruption of a school you were legally instructed to stay away from. Freedom of religion does not allow one to disrupt or diminish other people's own right to normalcy. Meanwhile the Burkes have behaved like children within the courts system, requiring physical manhandling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

100% correct.

Everything about how Enoch Burke has chosen to deal with the issues presented has been childish and petulant.

He could have calmly worked his way through the formal complaints/appeals process that was open to him and gone through the courts etc. potentially getting an actual defined legal framework around religious freedoms and so on.

Instead he decided to have public tantrums and to shout at Judges and Committee members and stage pointless and disruptive sit-ins and protests.

Everything that has happened to him thus far is as a direct result of how he chose to behave and has absolutely ZERO to do with what he "believes in".

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

He's entitled to believe in the tooth fairy if he wants, nobody cares

His behaviour in relation to his beliefs are what got him sacked / jailed / fined though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I admire that these posts pop up every once in a while to keep the thread vitriolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Tork

Ah shur we're all treading water until the next Burke court sideshow appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That's it. Without these presumably trolling posts there would be very little going on here. Needs a sub-plot to make it interesting.

• Advertisement

As others have said I think the school are doing everything they can to avoid giving him an opportunity to martyr himself until the various court decisions are in place.

If they were to try to block his access he will absolutely do something to get himself arrested which delays all the "in flight" proceedings.

Once he has been formally fired and is no longer on the payroll I fully expect the school to apply for and immediately get a restraining order keeping him away from the school premises.

But until that happens , they can't afford for him to get banged up again for some indeterminate length of time which delays these final decisions being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You do wonder, with all of the education this family have got including a law degree by one of them, how they haven’t taken a different path and used the justice system and procedures - id actually have some respect for them if they did that but as you say these tantrums are just beyond childish

They had two go their way in the last few years, one against NUI for delaying assessing one of their PHD thesis and another for not calculating grades correctly for the Leaving Cert for home schooled children.

After that, I’d say they thought they were infallible and the Courts and WRC and everyone else would do as they said.

To be honest I think it's because they know they wouldn't get anywhere with it.

So rather than simply lose what would have been a fairly low-key court case they consciously decided to go nuclear with it to draw attention.

Contrast their behaviours here with their legal challenges to the assessed Leaving Cert grades during lock-down for their home schooled child.

A case they took to court and won and where they behaved themselves and hired independent lawyers etc.

So , they can behave like normal people when they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think the difference there is that those 2 cases were not related to their religious beliefs. all reason goes out the window when their religion is involved.

Religion wasn't a part of the Ammi sh!t show related to her claims of unfair dismissal.

It was a case where there were highly unlikely to get anything approaching a satisfactory outcome for them , so they blew it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

70 grand ‘go away’ money just didn’t cut it when there was chance for wide publicity.

All they’ll have left after this is suing the State for not letting them protest where they want and suing companies for declining to hire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

good point. as you said when they think they have a good case they pursue it properly. When they dont they take the batshit approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

I don’t think you’re too far off from what I think? I think as they fly the nest and try to gain independence, mammy has sabotaged their careers to get them back and make sure they’ll never work again!

Advertisement