Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Apparently they see their reward as biblical though cash helps to keep their wagon rolling along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Worth watching the full 10+ minute clip, never mind this 1 minute one, from the start but I'm cutting to the chase here 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have no idea why they were back in court but just spotted this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That's Simeon.

He must have continued with the appeal against his conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

Simeon

and on and on and on...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And now I have an 80s (or was it 90s) TV commercial playing in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Two members of the Burke family were again removed from Court of Appeal proceedings by gardaí after interrupting the presiding judge.

Enoch Burke himself was appearing via video-link from Prison. Mr Burke was opposing a civil application by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc) who are applying for access to 'ambient' audio recordings as part of its investigation into how gardaí acted during an incident that led to student lawyer Simeon Burke being convicted of a public order offence. He told the judge that the court had the power to decide on the issue of the recording and opposed the GSOC request.

Enoch began talking over the judge and counsel in court so the judge told him that he was his “own worst enemy” for similar interjections and informed him that if he did not stop, his microphone would be muted.

That was the cue for the Burkes present, Sean [his father] and Isaac Burke to begin shouting in court about the judge's action, asking the court registrar why Enoch was being silenced. They were removed from court after they started shouting at the judge.

I'm a little surprised that Enoch would choose to try and block the GSOC move as it could end up to be an enabler for Simeon proving his claims against the Gardai. I guess it's a Burke bias against trust in anyone outside the family. It's possible its a thought-through Burke family tactical approach to court hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

So... let me get this straight. Three of the Burkes (Enoch, Simeon & Ammi) made a complaint to GSOC against Garda members for alleged mistreatment during the time they were forcibly removed from the court. GSOC need access to these recordings of what happened in the court room in order to investigate the complaint they lodged, but Enoch is trying to prevent GSOC from obtaining those recordings in order to investigate their complaint.

Surely they know that whatever little chance they may have had of the complaint being upheld, it's gone by obstructing the investigation. If they don't want GSOC to look at the evidence to investigate their complaint, just don't lodge it in the first place, or withdraw it. Don't waste the court's time with this kind of nonsense.

I feel sorry for the case workers in GSOC dealing with this - When the case inevitably doesn't go their way, they won't be happy and will just become pests, or will then seek a judicial review claiming that the case wasn't investigated properly and waste the court's and more people's time.

Having said that, there does seem to be benefit to having Enoch appear in court from prison by video link - they can shut off his mike when he starts ranting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and yet more 1000's of taxpayer euros flushed down the drain in legal fees.

That would appear to be the facts of the days court proceedings.

Thinking the day's events through, it seems the Burke family believe that everyone must believe everything they say to be absolutely true, the word of God, as it were. The idea that GSOC would look at the court event recordings evidence and come to a different conclusion as to what happened to Simeon may be an appalling vista for them. In the event of getting their way with the judge and having the GSOC request refused, they'd probably go after the judge should he decide also to do as they requested and review the court recordings of the Simeon incident, claiming he is biased against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What a weird family.

So GSOC are listening to ambient audio recordings? Like Brian Eno type of stuff?

The Burkes went down that road first, looking for recordings and this isn't the first case they've done it in. They have a real thing about court recordings and transcripts.

Only when it suits them though, naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Paddy power should have a bet running on which member(s) of the family will enrage a judge so much as to make him tell them to "Get the fuck out of my court"

Imagine living in a country where the Burke family could legally own assault rifles.

It might simply be something like a stenographers recording system [an electronic aide-memoire] for the court clerk who has to keep a verbatim record of what's spoken of/stated in evidence during a courts daily sessions. Now I'm thinking along the lines of something that would be very useful for a clerk or secretary tasked with keeping a whole and honest record of daily business.

That's as far as I can go/speculate on when it comes to an obvious court recording system which even the Burke family is prepared to rely on when it comes to defending of their own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In this case they are trying to deny gsoc use of it even though they complained to gsoc in the first place

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

There is digital audio recording in circuit court and upwards, probably not in district court though.

I'm in two minds in this: don't know if its part of their game-plan to **** over the justice/court system or whether they saw, with hindsight, when they heard of the recordings [through notification from GSOC] that they knew the truth of what happened between them and the Gardai would out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Anyone else had a Twitter/X ad from these clowns looking for money? Why the fuck the algo thought I would be likely to give them cash, is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are they actually collecting donations? That raises some serious Revenue / Charity Regulator issues. I'd love to see a copy of their advert. What mechanism are they using - GoFundMe or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

ironically, if they lived in the states they'd be millionaires. here, they're collectively liable for at least a million in fines and costs. didn't one of them make it as a barrister recently? he'll be keeping them all in beans on toast for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I think it was from Eamonn Burke? Tbh I hit the block button so fast I nearly pulled a muscle.

Not if no one will hire him.

Ammi bemoaned the fact that she hasn't been able to find new employment since sacked from Arthur Cox.

Why would anyone risk employing her, or any of this crazy family, for that matter?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At least Ammi is fully qualified , she could at least start her own legal firm , but Simeon has to find someone that will take him on for the next couple of years so he can finish his qualifications.

As you said - why would any firm go anywhere near any of them , the risks are just far too great.

I fully expect Simeon to launch some kind of litigation against the Law Library or the like claiming that he can't get a job because he's being discriminated against.

I fully expect Simeon to launch some kind of litigation against the Law Library or the like claiming that he can't get a job because he's being discriminated against.

Oh, I fully agree.

• Advertisement

Advertisement