Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How hard is it to understand he has not been locked up for his beliefs but for his actions? Also the only people looking to force everyone to agree with them are the Burkes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Given that he continues to receive his full Salary despite not actually working for almost 18 months , he can well afford a "heating bill" , although I'd prefer if they stopped paying him and made him pay some of the debts he owes in fines and legal fees.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Apologies for quoting myself , but it saves me typing it all out again..

And also

Every single thing that has befallen poor old Enoch is absolutely categorically 100% self-inflicted and could have been avoided by the simple act of behaving like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Time and time again his disgusting actions over a decade and more have been laid out before you and still don't think he's a bad man?

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He's in prison for contempt though, now you're going off an entirely separate tangent about hate crimes. The fact he's a fact he's a hateful git is separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This has nothing to do with being on a bandwagon, but a lot to do with doing a bit of factual thinking....

Employers don't want to take on troublesome employees - people who disrespect their supervisors, ignore instructions and believe the laws don't apply to them. Both because they are a pain in the ass to have to deal with and they impact the moral and willingness of other people to work with the organisation.

And then there is the type of work, young people going through school are not only studying the academics, they are learning about society and figuring out their place in it. And giving them the message that it is acceptable to flaunt the laws, ignore the right of other people as confirmed by the courts and disrespecting the courts themselves is just not on and most parent will not accept it.

The man through is own actions has made himself unemployable in the teaching profession and going around trying to argue that some how it is OK for him to disrespect the laws, the right of others as adjudicated by the courts and the courts themselves is somehow OK, it just nonsense. The man can get out of jail anytime he wants, all he has to do is accept that the laws of the land apply to him just the same as they do to the rest of us. And if he does not, then behind bars is the correct place for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Who cares if they are a "respected" member of the local community? What does that even mean?

Again, and this is probably the millionth time this has been mentioned, he can leave jail if he purges his contempt, no one is stopping him other than himself.

And get over yourself with this carry one about the guillotine, he is not some martyr and the family aren't victims of some mean crusade. They are backwards driven with what they believe and their carry on in the courts is completely shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Got a sponsored video from his brother and mother of FB at the weekend, wasn't able to listen to it because of where I was but reported it for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jesus Christ he’s on a wind up you can ignore his attempts at ‘balance’ he knows full well why Burke is in prison but is ignoring it to peddle it’s not fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When is the school actually going to be able to cut off his salary does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

When his appeal against his dismissal is over. I think he's tying that up in litigation. @Ezeoul can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

AFAIK, It's the Dept of Education that is funding his salary, not school. I'm quoting from an article in the Journal.ie from Dec last year when Justice O'Moore ordered his release from prison as his coercive imprisonment seemed to be to his [Mr Burke] advantage.

Last July EB won last minute temporary injunction against the Disciplinary Appeal Panel hearing going ahead, on the grounds that he objected to Mr Kieran Cristie of ASTI being one of the 3 panel members as EB claimed he "supported transgenderism".

There was a further hearing on the matter on 8th August, but Justice Dignam still hasn't given his ruling (to date).

Until the Disciplinary Appeal Panel is held, he is still on the payroll.

I don't know what the hold up on Justice Dignam's ruling is, but given his remarks I can't see it going in EBs favour.

This is why I suspect the High Court are reaching the end of their tether, and are going to come up with something new to deal with EB.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

No one is scared of Enoch ... but Enoch is scared of someone ... enough to spend almost a year in prison ...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Not a conspiracy theory ... identifying a valid concern .... EB is educated and he is spending a lot of time in prison when he apparently has a way out .... I do not believe for one minute EB really is that religious or is bigoted to the point of depriving himself of his freedom ... I am pointing this out and I do believe there are a lot of entities behind him and other such protestors ... look up the far right and the Trump wannabes worldwide and how they operate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cheaper ?? 77K a year to keep someone locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Then you don't know that family very well.

I suggest you do a bit of reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

What surprises me is that the fines awarded against Enoch Burke to be paid to the state do not seem to have been paid over. The monetary judgement also made against him for his activities at Wilsons Hospital School do not yet seem to have been paid over by the defendant or any person acting on his part to the School. They will probably come up in court hearings in the future enabling the Burke show continue its publicity campaign against whomever they decide is suppressing their religious constitutional rights while they use the courts as their chosen theatre. I don't know how the courts will get out of the legal pickle the Burkes have put the judges in. I assume the other Burke family members would enjoy nothing else than have more members put into the Joy beside Enoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Big changes in the UK, where woke-ism in schools is completely OTT and teachers have been fired for misgendering students on grounds of religious belief.

I don't see that this will help EB's case, but it is a relief to see (IMHO) common sense coming back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12878887/Trans-guidance-schools-puts-parents-ministers-say-teachers-students-misgender-pupil-not-face-sanction.html

Long-awaited guidance from the Department for Education, to be published on Tuesday, will call for a 'presumption against' allowing children to change gender at school.

This overturns the situation in classrooms across the country.

A new 'parents first' approach will advise that in all but the most exceptional cases, they should be informed at the first opportunity if their child asks to be known as having a different gender at school.

Teachers and pupils should not be pressured to adopt a child's chosen pronouns and should not be punished if they get them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is the UK and the Daliy Mail - neither of which are known for adapting to real world issues or putting people first, lets be honest - so nothing to do with Enoch as you say yourself (so why are you posting it here...?).

Eveything after the word "but" is irrelevant trolling (and if you don't think so - again - why are you posting it here?)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I've taken a quick look at this, though not on the Daily Mail. All that has happened is that the British government has issued non-statutory guidelines to the schools. They can't go in much harder on this issue because then they fall foul of the Equality Act. Nobody's willing to open up that can of worms because it'd entail new legislation being drafted. In reality, few if any schools will be changing the way they're dealing with this issue at the moment. It's irrelevant to Enoch Burke's predicament, and not just because it relates to the UK. Under the new guidelines, he'd still have transgender students in his school and he'd still be asked to address them by a new name/pronoun. He'd still throw his toys out of the pram and kick off the unfortunate series of events which have brought him to where he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's mental that people think parents are more important and on a higher pedestal than the children themselves.

In all likelihood (especially in Britain) there are TERF's out there with TG kids. Imagine not having a choice as to how and when you tell them you're TG, because your school will do it for you.

Anyway, as others have pointed out. This has absolutely nothing to do with Burke's behaviour and unprofessional courtesy which has lead him to where he is. Is there not a general TG thread where all this can be dumped?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yes, Enoch will be delighted to read about what’s happening in…checks notes…the UK.

Friendly reminder to some of the new folks in here, he isn’t in jail for refusing to call someone by a certain gender.

Basically all this does, is prolong the trauma for non-binary and trans students who want to transition socially, and forcing some to remain "closeted" or their parents will be informed. until they have left school.

Pushing the "problem" down the road, so to speak. This is a very cowardly step backwards, in LGBTQ rights.

Also, what if the parents are supportive of their child's wishes? In the case of the student in WHS, a parent was with the child when they made the request to change name, so obviously was supportive of their child.

So what happens then?

It's basically saying staff and pupils can bully a non-binary or trans student, and not suffer any consequences. As Burke would have done to the student in WHS, and any future non-binary or trans students, if allowed.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Can we please stay on topic? A reminder of the mod warning in post #1

It has already been stated numerous times in this thread but some posters seemingly cannot resist trying to make this thread about transgenderism. It is about Burke, his behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To crib a saying about the Tories' overall policy strategy ATM? The cruelty is the point. These aren't policies of "common sense", or anything resembling empathetic approaches towards one's citizens. They wanna look to be cold & cruel towards a demographic the lingering Tory voter doesn't understand and just hates as a kneejerk.

Trans teens and older are now the convenient bogeymen beloved of those who can't just let people be people; you can't discriminate against gay people anymore, and trans folk are both small enough community and easy emotive scaremongering narrative to fashion (Usually that they're either mentally ill, or naturally deceptive [see all the shíte about men choosing to transition to get into women's bathrooms, or get ahead in sport). It's no different to the scaremongering of LGB folk from days of yore, now rebadged for an era when kids don't really care if their classmate transitions so naturally older demographics resist.

edit: I appreciate I've taken the topic way off course, as this segue has been knocked on the head before. Apologies mods; you'll hear no more from me on this topic.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are being programmed by the Daily Mail and you are not on topic. It you want a serious discussion then come with some factual credible references.

Advertisement