Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭juno10353

Any word on how Enoch is behaving while locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Probably trying to start up a prayer group and make the population see the error of their ways - it's the other prisoners I wonder about.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

He is due for another review of his contempt this month, but I haven't seen anything in the Courts legal diary yet.

(eta) for anyone who wants to check, the case number is "2022 4507 P" in the Chancery List.

Enoch should apply for asylum in the states, he is clearly been persecuted in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Restraining orders and contempt of court judgements also exist in America.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The US courts wouldn't uphold an Irish courts decision. Also if he claimed he was persecuted by the Irish for his religious beliefs that would be grounds for asylum. Many asylum applications are based on this. I don't think he could ever live a normal life here. There's religious based communities in the US that live the old way of life, who mostly keep to themselves and resolve issues within their own communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Quandary

"I don't think he could ever live a normal life here. There's religious based communities in the US that live the old way of life, who mostly keep to themselves and resolve issues within their own communities."

I cannot see how any of the Burkes would be happy to live in that environment. The single biggest issue with the Burkes is that they want to force everyone else in society to be governed by their beliefs and value systems because they have an unshakeable belief that their version is the only way life should be lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

He's not being persecuted for his religious beliefs though. If anything, he's being persecuted for a being a knob.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He is not being persecuted over his religious beliefs however, he's being jailed because he refused to comply by a court order, issued because he harassed and interfered with the school staff. Then caused enough commotion in court that he twice got slapped with contempt. So any asylum claim wouldn't get very far on the simple grounds that his incarceration is not based on belief, but workplace behaviour.

Sure,the Burkes are claiming religious persecution but as we have seen, has not held up in court at any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Enoch doesn't want to live in the States.

He wants to live here, and tell everyone else how to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yup plenty of religious fruit loops in the states alright, doing their bit in persecuting, ridiculing and isolating those that feel left out or different, including lgbtq+ folks, he d fit in well there alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To tell the truth , I never knew about this story . I haven’t watched Rte news in a long time . Crackpots .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

US courts would certainly uphold contempt charges and even impose a much more sever punishment for it. As for religious persecution, it does not come even close to the definitions used the immigration hearings in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He can live a normal life here any time he wants. But that's not the way he was brought up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

He can also walk out of jail tomorrow, and live a free man, it's his choice to remain in jail. Further eroding any legitimate sense of asylum based on religious persecution. The only one keeping Enoch Burke in Mountjoy is Enoch Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There's religious based communities in the US that live the old way of life, who mostly keep to themselves and resolve issues within their own communities.

that's not how you spell "beat the shít out of women and kids" though.

Isn't it funny that it's fine for Middle Eastern Batshít Religion A to "life the old way of life and resolve issues within their own communities", but when Middle Eastern Batshít Religion B proposes the same it's an abomination.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They should let him out for the Mid Term Break when the school is closed and the taste of freedom might convince him to purge his contempt.

A Taste of Freedom.

He's never known freedom though has he?

Not with a mother like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Bang on. Don’t forget the father too. He’s not some poor, put upon husband. Currently facing trial for assaulting a Garda. What a guy.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The school being open or closed has nothing to do with his being in Jail.

Even if he never went near the school again he'd still be in contempt until such time as he stands in front of a judge and purges the contempt and formally accepts the terms of the injunction.

Literally a 2 minute conversation over Zoom with the Judge and he's out within a couple of hours.

But no..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not to mention he was released from his initial tenure in jail for Xmas 2022 as the school was on break and they determined that jail was having no effect at that stage. Start of the January school term, he was right back out in front of the school, and the courts determined to impose fines instead.

Obviously things have now progressed following further rulings to where we are now, but either way, as soon as he's out of jail, he'll be right out in front of the school again. He can not and will not ever give any leeway on this imo, as he's tied the issue so strongly up in his religious beliefs that to give any leeway or concession is basically an affront to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

religion should carry some form of government health warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Do you actually think he could keep to himself?

The Burkes aren't the quiet kind of Christians for who religion is a personal decision. They're the kind who go looking for something that will offend them, then kick up a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Kangaroo 😀

But you're not seriously suggesting that the teacher address the kid as Skippy for fear of being reprimanded? or is it now expected that if the kid wants to identify as a kangaroo then the teacher (must oblige) for fear of being accused of bullying, and ultimately fired for not indulging the kids fantasy 🤔 is this what is being suggested?

This new pronoun thing wrecks my head, then again it's a new thing, and I'm not

Back in my day it was Sir this, and Sir that, and we were called by our Surnames!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you missed the point. However you analyse the situation, you would logically end up supporting the child - not bullying them.

I don't know how your typical day goes, but I don't seem to encounter any specific situations where I end up discussing someone's identification or "classification".

What are you going to do if you are a teacher and some parents have named their child "skippy"? Or any other name you disapprove of.

If a child is legally Patrick, but goes by "Paddy", would you refuse to call them Paddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Skippy the bush kangaroo, No? Showing my age again.....

The name Skippy (60s TV show) being synonymous with a kangaroo which you mentioned. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that the teacher must indulge in the child's fantasy re their preferred pronoun, like kangaroo, cat, dog etc?

I'm not a teacher, but I'm curious now

Advertisement