Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No it just means he'll be back outside the school in September and this whole saga will recommence with him being arrested again - but he won't automatically go back to prison until he puts a foot wrong I'd imagine. But he won't be able to help himself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Going back to the school at all will be "putting a foot wrong".

But it's nonsense that he's let out - He's in jail for contempt of court and he has not purged that contempt - Letting him out for the "holidays" is just ridiculous.

He inability to act the twat by going to the school because it's closed for the next ~2 months should be irrelevant to the overall rule of law.

The 1st day of school in September, he will turn up and then the school will have to apply to the courts again so he'll get to stand outside the school for several days at least before the breech of the injunction is reviewed and confirmed in court.

The entire family have shown that they simply do not care about the rule of law so the law "doing them favours" like this achieves absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

I heard he has premium tickets for Tay Tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

As I mentioned above, I hope Justice Sanfey's motivation in releasing him, was so the DAP could be heard before the next school term begins.

Then his trespass would become criminal.

It will be interesting now, to see if the DAP is convened. It was meant to proceed in July of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Just heard Enoch Burke has been released from Mountjoy. Don't have any other info

From RTE news

The judge said that following a review of the situation, and the fact State examinations are now completed and the school is on holidays, he was directing the teachers release.

The court did not require Mr Burke to purge his contempt and agree to comply with the terms of an order made against him last year, the judge said.

In that decision, Mr Justice Alexander Owens granted Wilson's Hospital a permanent injunction restraining Mr Burke from attending at the school.

Now he's out, can they fire him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭sniperman

delighted for him,fair play to him for standing up for his beliefs,i admire him,well done lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭randd1

Actually, he's in jail because he's refusing to stay away from the school during the normal course of business, which I believe the is what the Court Order was about.

With the exams now finished, it's not a time of year for the normal course of business, so there's no need for him to be in prison.

I find it's actually clever from the Judge.

It quite clearly sets out that his prison time is not about individual beliefs (of course it never was), it's not about on-going discipline matters, it's simply about whether Enoch Burke adheres to a Court Order to keep away from the school while the school is ongoing in it's normal course of business. And if the school is not in session, then there's no need for a Court Order to punish him.

And it shows his incarceration in entirely self-inflicted under a point of law with no real intent of punishment of young Burke, and nothing more.

In simple terms, it says quite Burke's own ignorance alone is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

be some pints drank to night in the Burke household.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

as you well know he was imprisoned because of his appalling conduct, not his beliefs

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

He was actually in jail for refusing to obey a court order. Whether the court order was to stay away from the school is irrelevant. He refused to obey a lawful order from the court, so he was held in contempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,593 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Those beliefs are he should be able to keep going to his place of work when he was suspended for intimidating a colleague and breaching a students confidence...strange to admire that...

Yes, but it does show that the Court is not out to punish Burke for his beliefs, which is his position, "I'm being punished for my beliefs" and all that crap him and his family have been spewing for a while. Even if he should stay in prison on a point of law and order, it shows that the Court does not want to jail him, and is certainly not out to punish him for his views.

So it puts any further incarceration, which will likely happen when the school resumes after the summer holidays, solely on the shoulders of Enoch Burke and his lack of respect of the law and gives him very little wiggle room for publicity for his (clearly crazy) "cause".

It also means that his disciplinary hearing might actually go ahead, that he could be fired, or not, by the time the school comes back. If he's fired, then it might actually make the Courts job easier as his (likely) trespassing, if past behaviour is to go by, may become a criminal matter, for which a Judge could impose an actual sentence.

"be some pints drank to night in the Burke household."

Holy Water must be a hell of a mixer.

It's clearly done the Burke's fierce harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭Augme

The number of Judges in this country who are unfit for the job is quite frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Are the fines still racking up?

What’s the tally now?

27 January 2023 to 28 June 2024 = 518 days @ €700 per day = €362,600.00

+ €15,000 fine for trespass.

+ various awards for legal costs against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Maybe if the judge ruled that a gay gets free from hell for everyday of contempt he'd atone pretty quickly

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

Great post. It's going to look even more ridiculous when he comes and stands outside the school in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Great.

If he shows up again in September, arrest him on criminal trespass.

Bail him and if he shows up again, arrest him on criminal trespass and revoke his bail.

Rinse and repeat.

About time this criminal behaviour was treated as such and not leaving the school to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

He's going to miss the willies being put up him in the joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just in time for Pride. He'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I would admire his initial principle & belief too, (but that's not the issue here), and never has been since his totally out of order actions in the school, including when he was suspended yet kept coming back! That's why he is where he is, not because of his very reasonable belief in relation to genesis of his reckless journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Burke still has a case ongoing against the school afaik -

Education Minister Norma Foley has said that an appeal against the school board's decision to dismiss Burke remains live. AFTER MORE THAN 280 days in prison, Enoch Burke continues to receive his full salary from Wilson's Hospital School.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What is there to admire exactly about a teacher (although not a teacher of the pupil in question, still an adult in a position of power) undermining / belittling / singling out a vulnerable underage student?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Cathal Crotty is completely off topic in this thread, leave it out.

The thread is doing that annoying freezing thing again.

I've reported it in case we need a new continuation thread.

• Advertisement

Yes, I've referenced this.

Hopefully now the Disciplinary Appeal Panel can now go ahead, and finalise his termination.

Advertisement