Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,746 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If he stands across the road opposite the gate and doesn't trespass on the school grounds then I wonder if he can be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Doubtful. What could he be lifted for?

Standing on the side of a public road isn't an offence, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,746 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because he doesn't believe in happiness or enjoyment.

He doesn't think that people should be going around "enjoying themselves" and was quoted as saying that he was once invited to the pub with co-workers and when he contemplated going for a second before deciding not to go he felt like it was a massive failure of his faith and then spent an extended period of time serving penance . Penance for thinking about going to the pub after work with colleagues!!!!

The only enjoyment in his world is through the adoration of God.

In other words , he's mad as a box of frogs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That suggests that Enoch accepts that he had broken the law and needs to avoid certain actions to evade arrest/detention.

At no point in time has he displayed any awareness or willingness to recognise the authority or rulings of the court.

1st day of the new term he will be at the gate trying to gain access to "go to work" as he categorically believes that none of this ever happened and that he is still employed as a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That's sad to me, the fact he contemplated it at all indicates that he liked his colleagues and their company, the fact he was invited shows that they liked him as a colleague also but this idea of penance planted in his head (and all of them) from a young age has him ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

All the other stuff aside, what a waste of a life.

Agree completely.

The entire family - All of them clearly highly intelligent and well educated.

There's a host of Masters degrees , PhD's , bar qualifications etc. among them and they have rendered them all effectively useless because of their behaviour and absolute refusal to even consider compromise or to view the world through anything other than their extremely narrow hyper religious lens.

A complete waste of all of them.

He also doesn't approve of music, dancing, or comedy.

I think he said this is in the same article. (I'll try to find it).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's really sad.

I wonder would being introduced to the sins of the flesh have changed any of them, or would they have spent the rest of their days flagellating themselves as penance?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that mental image. 🤮

Now I'm gone right off my lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As for how this ends, how do you think it ends if Burke is convicted of a trespass offence and bound over to keep the peace (which is the likely consequence for a first offender, possible with a three-figure fine)? How does it play out from there?

He keeps breaking the law and like everyone else on this island is dealt with criminally.

The school staff and children have been through enough with this odious cretin.

Time the justice system stepped in. It is absolutely a scandal they haven't at this stage and left the onus on the school to deal with the creep at civil court at huge cost and stress to all involved.

I'd be pretty confident the Burkes goal is to get Enoch locked up as long as possible for contempt, which is essentially indefinite incarceration without a trial, which is against all sorts of human rights.

If he is locked up for another 5 or 6 years or longer, their chances of winning at higher court on all sorts of human rights violations could be possible, which would enable them to take the state to the cleaners and vindicate their lunacy.

Keeping him locked up for contempt is exactly what he wants.

The state need to stop doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Considering he has only just been freed jail, where he has remained for the majority of the last two years, and has been warned he will be incarcerated again if he contravenes the existing court order, it is quite something that you think the justice system hasn’t stepped in.

They've stepped in , but they have not solved the problem.

He will go right back to his same behaviour the second the school re-opens.

Open ended incarceration for contempt isn't practical and would likely fall under "cruel and unusual punishment" type rules if pursued in higher courts, so some alternative needs to be found.

See in the US where Navarro and Bannon both got fixed term sentences for Contempt - Something similar here would be good.

He refuses to clear his contempt so jail him for a fixed term - 6 months say , but it's a criminal conviction.

He gets out and starts again , he gets 6 months again and so on.

He's still goes to jail , but at least there's a clearly defined offence and penalty with actual convictions attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can imagine this still going on in 10 years time.

Problem is that if you want to stop someone trespassing, what do you do? Lock him up or nothing. It's not like we can put a shock collar on him like a dog. And if we stuck an ankle bracelet on him it would just result in the mayo guards putting up roadblocks 😀

Yep. It's horrible what the parents did to those children. That's why I mentioned earlier that time with a deprogramming psychiatrist would be best. Thing is as someone mentioned in reply, it's a bit of a slippery slope. Still, it's the only way I can see to resolve it. And it might actually bring some happiness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Quandary

Its fairly terrifying to see how completely brainwashed and conditioned a group of intelligent individuals can be. Imagine being intelligent enough to critically evaluate the world around you while simulataneously doing the mental gymnastics required to believe the doctrine the Burkes subscribe to.

What do you do if your logical highly informed keen mind allows a scary faith challenging question to manifest?

It must take splitting your brain into two separate independent thought centres where each one refuses to acknowledge the others existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

That is kind of what is happening now though! Albeit without a fixed sentence and criminal conviction.

He is released when the school is closed and when the school reopens and he refuses to clear his contempt he is jailed again.

I know its not a formal fixed sentence but it in the absence of any other legal route it is the fairest and pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some people take pleasure in that sort of thing. 😶

Or as Orwell termed it, "doublethink"

Imagine the mental backflips of a scientist with a strong religious belief (and there are some). "In my professional life I will regard any hypothesis not backed up by evidence as mere speculation. In my personal life I will regard this book as factual, because the book says so."

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But this puts the onus on the school to keep on going back to the court (at considerable expense) which is far from ideal.

Yes I know Burke has fines and costs to pay. He just won't.

They really need to pull the stops out and get him formally dismissed before the term starts and he goes back inside again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭BK5

Always amuses me how well religions and religious people are really clued in when it comes to taking money but no way are they going to hand it back out.

Does his moral code not extend to taking money for doing absolutely no work? In other words, stealing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Quandary

Ah but he is doing work.

Gods work, as he no doubt would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭BK5

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Well Sean and Martina obviously did, given that they successfully produced 10 sprogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Looking at Google maps there is nowhere to stand opposite the gates - it's just a ditch. I suppose he could stand in the ditch?

On the same side as the school there is a sliver of a verge that he could stand on (looks like a metre wide). But if he takes that option he reduces the impact as, presumably some cars/buses that arrive will come from both directions - he won't be passed by all vehicles. Maybe one side is the busier side, he can precariously set up shop on that side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That's not true. I've seen videos of numerous Burke children singing and playing the piano. YouTube has an extended clip, I think Enoch is in it, of some song competition. The song is a Christiany type song but the performance is good - gusto & smiles all round. No need to invent things about them. Their reality is odd enough as is.

Incidentally, I wouldn't hold it against him for not going to the pub with colleagues. I'd wholly endorse that behaviour me self 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not Catholic.

Plenty of various protestant proselytising groups but I doubt any of them would have him.

But so far despite 400+ days in jail he has a "clean" record.

He needs to start racking up actual convictions for this ongoing circus with escalating penalties for repeat offences.

I've never seen him sing, but maybe he doesn't disapprove of hymns, or christian music. Another thing that's big in the US.

Can't see him getting his groove on to "Dancing Queen"!

I'll have another go at finding that article :)

(eta) Found it! (and its actually quite a sad read).

Ed Sheeran, Daniel O’Donnell and Leo Varadkar are on his blacklist – and an invitation to the pub proved a turning point for evangelical Enoch Burke

Post edited by Ezeoul at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is no different to a burglar who reoffends after being released from jail, you hope the penalty of jail the first time would be a deterrent, but unfortunately sometimes it isn’t.
    Jumping up and down and saying he should get a criminal conviction for trespass means absolutely nothing if the penalty is less severe than he has already been served with, and worst of all, the chances of a conviction are poor according to the DPP.
    Just like a burglar who racks up 50 convictions, because they have no intention of changing their way of life, Burke is likely destined to spend more time in jail for contempt. Say he should get a criminal conviction all you want, but if the DPP don’t believe a prosecution will succeed, then all that can be done is rinse and repeat. But as I said, I suspect his resolve will outlast WHS.

Advertisement