Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Indeed, but it is it's interface with our legal/penal systems that poses the dilemma.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have the tools to deal with this case.

EB and his family have many options open to them to continue their protest but they have chosen to butt heads instead of following more normal forms of dissent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

https://www2.hse.ie/mental-health/services-support/involuntary-admission/

Should be treated with the same measure they treat lgbt. Maybe someone can arrange a psychiatric evaluation for him.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭L Grey

I read that earlier to catch up on the Burkes.

Is it wrong to feel a bit sorry for them?

On a human level one could feel sorry for EB.

By all accounts an excellent teacher who should be starting the new academic year and getting to know his new students.

Instead he looks to be intent on getting himself committed to prison.

The rest of the family also seem consumed by this campaign they have embarked on

But at the end of the day nobody brought trouble to their door.

They have gone out of their way to directly confront the State and us the Citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really wish I had this guys determination and dedication to turn up to work. I'd be running the place by now.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

…And they have persistantly and viciously targetted the LGBTQ community.

So no sympathy for them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Easy there Kid….. "Butt Plugs , Trannies, etc . Not really reading the Room here, are you. BTW, no need to respond . I don't get into any crap with certain types. And if you think for one second that the Guards like being told what to do…… 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You’d have to imagine that when laws etc were written, they never thought something like this would ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf the kids are all victims of Mammy Burkes indoctrination so normality was never an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,808 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Or after the laws being released from the control of religious strictures back to the control of the civil population itself that a remnant of the shuttered mindset would pop up using another title [anti-transgenderism] claiming that his/their religious belief rights were being infringed in the process. God damn liberalism.

Now where did I hear that "this is what will happen" line before???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Lampooning "Mammy" & "Daddy" is unnecessary. Stick to facts.

This is a family of religious fundamentalists. Enoch may have had some valid legal challenges against his employer but he will not follow appropriate procedures. The consistent and willful ignoring of legal/disciplinary processes is an odd stance. The Burke family are well aware of how the legal system works - they have been successful in the High Court before.

Martyrdom and maximum publicity seems to be the overiding objective. It's a pity. I would be very interested in seeing a proper legal challenge in the first instance - I think Enoch had a strong chance of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭dubrov

What valid legal challenges?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭geographica

Just listening to the liveline show from the link in the Wikipedia article.

Martina Burke’s voice would go through your head (and the prompting by someone in the background is funny, Duffy asked has she got someone with her, it was clear she was being prompted, but Duffy didn’t pursue it), she rattles on about “there are laws in this country” ffs 🤣

Duffy funnily told everyone he won’t allow the use of the word “homophobic” on the show, but does 🤣

worth a listen back - https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/0417/694836-liveline-friday-17-april-2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I love this comment:

I fully agree he's true to his faith and shouldn't be punished for been a Catholic 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪

Someone is confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It would be like expecting someone reared by wolves to act like the rest of society.

I've said it before on this thread but the parents should be charged for how they ruined their own children's lives. Any I've seen are clearly intelligent and articulate, they're all educated and seem to have excelled in their fields.

But the iron hold influence and indoctrination of the parents have warped them. Another poster said they need to be deprogrammed in the same manner as anyone who's been in a cult and I'd agree. They're wasting their lives fighting windmills in their own heads instead of just living and enjoying life. I wonder will any of them seek help when their parents, especially Martina, are no longer around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,808 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The family bond seeming so tight has me wondering if the children still live at home with Ma and Pa? There are ten of them,

each given a biblical name; Ammi, Elijah, Enoch, Esther, Isaac, Jemima, Josiah, Keren, Kezia, and Simeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

There was a tv documentary in the early 00's on BBC2 about a team who did deprogramming of individuals like them. About 70% success rate.

People like a teenager who ran away from his family to become a monk. Not sure if buddist or har crishna.

Although some patients were made more ardent in their beliefs. The 'monk' was like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That would need to be a very big house with 12 adults in it.

We only hear of three or four of the kids regularly - I always wonder what's the story with the rest of them. Ar they still strongly religious, but just keep their heads down, or have they gone off completely to do their own thing?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

It is a big house.

I read somewhere that they do all still live at home, when not away studying at various colleges or working.

It's not sure whether Enoch lived in staff accommodation in WHS (it is a boarding school as well) or rented a place locally, but he wasn't commuting back and forth to Mayo every day while he was employed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hold on a sec! Is the father driving him 2hrs each way every day just for him to stand in front of the school?

If so, that's just mental.

Yep, and has done every day EB has been at the school since this whole sorry saga begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭BK5

I saw a bit of the Encoh speech that he gave the other day saying he has been expelled from work and put in prison for his religious beliefs and he has a right to not call a him a her and visa versa.

I was listening to what he was saying and thought for such a devout Christian he has no problem lying his ass off to reporters about what has happened so that he can twist the story to suit himself.

Shame on the reporter for not correcting him on his lies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Enoch will still be turning up ad infinitum. Long after many users are gone, and old moderators have been replaced by new.

Amusingly even the OP got bored of it, now a deleted user.

Burke is going to outlast everyone, he has gone full crusade mode. Applying himself is certainly not the issue.

It seems like long ago when there were many Enock Burke parade floats on St Patricks day. Even those people have moved on.

Only for other world crises/events that have attracted Western (RTE) mainstream media attention:

Ukraine/Gaza/RTE payments/New Taoiseach/ The Olympics/ The Rose of Tralee / Leaving Cert Results/ Haley and Justin Beiber delighted at new baby / Victor and Mondo coming face to face in Fair City

- Burke might be getting more coverage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I don't think so.

His latest appearance at the gates garnered much less national press than previously. I don’t think it was even mentioned on RTE 6.1 news (open to correction on this).

The only reason for him to be there is for publicity to draw attention to what he sees a a "cause".

Once he realises that that platform is gone (admittedly that may be months away) I'd expect a different tactic from the Burkes. Perhaps even something to ensure Enoch or another Burke gets more prison time. Nothing like a prison sentence to ensure a slot on the news and a claim of martyrdom.

If he had kids they could remove them from his care and accuse him of being a pedophile. Ostracize him from his community, bar him from all forms of employment and voluntary work, prevent him from seeking further education and then psychologically assault and abuse him on a daily basis.

Of course they could force a gay man to continually harass him and then insist that he's in a gay relationship with him whether he wants to be or not, just as long as he doesn't get a say in the matter. They might try and have him kicked out of his home but apparently he still lives with mammeh. What else..deprive him of healthcare on account of being a sexual predator and of course make sure his local parish and priest and bishop are informed of all the above so they can cast multiple stones daily. Think that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

… accuse him of being a pedophile.

It gets sillier.

• Advertisement

And when he tries to seek help for all his problems it's important that the therapists be the most heterophobic counsellors in Ireland.

Advertisement